Chapter 9

Percy's POV

I met Annabeth at school the next time. She was walking a dog.

'Who's the dog?' I asked bending down to pet it.
'Mrs. Mendez's- she's supposed to come pick him up. They're going on a vacation.' she explained, 'She wanted me to walk him while she packed. And before you ask, his name is Teddy.'
'Cute name.' I pet his head a bit and scratched his ears, 'I might as well stay, I have to thank her.'

Annabeth smiled at me. Her hands were nowhere near mine and she didn't move in for a hug now that no one was watching. It felt cold.

We entered the school after dropping Teddy to Mrs. Mendez. Surprisingly, we had a class with Miss Bhavna first thing, which was rare but a good treat.

'Well we got lucky today!' I said.
'Yep,' she replied. She smiled at me and I put my arm around her.
'To infinity and beyond!' I said, for no reason at all. She laughed at this.
'You're lame!' she said. I chuckled, yep, I was.
'Come on, or else we'll get our butts kicked by Miss Bhavna.' I said.

We walked in the class. Miss Bhavna was lecturing something.

'There will be a project in partners- I've made them.' she started with Annabeth, 'Annabeth with Percy.'

I could tell she was trying not to laugh, for her mouth was oddly twisted. Annabeth took a seat next to me and smiled at me. But something was cold about her. She looked at the board, I barely payed attention to what the project was about. It was something about science, we had to go to different places and note down the elements in each of them or something like that, then we had to meet up and make some points for every week.

At the end of school Annabeth walked with me.

'Coming?' she asked.
'Where?' I asked
'For the project,' she said looking at me, 'duh!'
'Oh, yeah,' I never noticed how amazing those curls were, all wild and free, 'come on.'
'The dog park?'
'Are you planning on getting a dog?' I laughed.
'I don't think my step-mother would lay her eyes on one,' she said.
'I have one,' I said, 'her name is Mrs. O'Leary- I don't let her out when people come much, she get's way too excited.'
'Oh my god! You have to let me meet her!'
'She's a bloodhound, are you sure-'
'Yes!' she regained control over herself, 'Come on.'
'Wait!' I said, 'Wanna meet Tyson first?'
'Of-of course!' she said.

'He's going to be fine,' she said. 
'Do you still wanna be friends?' I said, 'Not that thing, I'm not asking for... you know... But at the party, you suddenly become so cold and, weird. What did Luke say?'
'He said nothing,' Annie replied rather quietly, 'and we are still friends.'
'Okay that's good,' Did she just friendzone me? 'great, actually.'

At the hospital, we went to meet Tyson. He was still unconscious.

'Mr Jackson,'  the doctor said, 'Tyson is in coma,'
'What? No,' I said, 'He can't be,'
'His health is detoriating- we are afraid-'
Annabeth squeezed my hand.
'-These are his last days.'

I stared at Tyson's barely breathing body. Annabeth looked at me in my eyes. She sent a message through them, It's fine- he'll make it. I barely believed her. How could he? He fell from two stories, into a garden full of rocks and whatnot.

'It can't be...' I murmured, unknowingly I was walking out of the hospital, Annabeth silently following me.
'I'll drive,' she said. I handed the keys.
I looked out of the window in the passenger seat. Trying hard not to cry.
'Percy,' Annabeth said in that soothing voice, 'He's fine,' we got out of the car and sat on the nearest bench.

Annabeth's POV

Percy stared at Tyson's struggling body. I felt tears come to my eyes. But if both of us broke down, then what good would it be? I wiped the tear away. Percy muttered and started out of the hospital. I agreed to drive. He was trying not cry and was blankly staring outside.

'Percy,' I said, 'He's fine,' 

He shook and buried his face in his hands. Silently sobbing and slumping on the bench. I pulled him into a hug, he leaned into me. No one was around. 

'Let's go to my house?' I asked. I didn't think it would be nice to go to Sally Jackson, having to explain about Tyson and then having to soothe two people and getting things sadder. 
He nodded. I squeezed his hand.
'Okay,' he said. 

He cried the entire journey and then cried more. I could understand why. He made his way to my room. His eyes were bloodshot and his nose runny. I got to his side and hugged him. He hugged me back. We pulled apart. Our noses were inches apart. He leaned in slightly. I pulled back. I hated doing it. But I had to protect him. I had to protect him from-

'Annabeth!' My step mother called, surprisingly calmly and sweetly.

I walked downstairs. Sally Jackson was standing outside the doorway.

'My son is here?'
'Yes...?'
'Estelle needs him... please,'
'O-of course...' I stammered. 

I walked in my room. Percy was lying down on my bed he had no tears left anymore, evidently. I lay down next to his and looked at him in the eyes.

'Your mom is here.' I said, 'Estelle needs you, Seaweed Brain.'
He sat up immediately.
'I have to go... then,' he said. He kissed me on the cheek, 'See you, Wise Girl,' 

With that he walked away. And for once I was able to touch the spot on my cheek like an idiot without anyone seeing me.

'Woohoo,' Malcolm entered my room, 'someone is in lurve.'
'Shut up, Malcolm.' I said, 'I'll do the same when you meet a girl,'
'Fine, you win,' he said, 'But do you like him?' 
'Yeah I do! Duh! Otherwise would I be smiling like an idiot?'
'Valid point!' he said.

He laughed.

'I'm glad you found someone to fill Luke's absence,' he said.

Except that wasn't true. For the one person I wanted to fill Luke's absence would never be able to be with me.

Have you guessed who Annabeth is protecting Percy from? Have you understood WHY and WHAT she's protecting him from? And also, feeling the bonding? ;)

See you in the next chapter.