Chapter 33

Percy's POV

I sighed. Christmas was only a few days away. I had everything packed for Annabeth. And then I'd have to go and spend Christmas somewhere else, without her, for a week.

I was really hoping to spend Christmas with Annabeth, so, naturally, mom agreed that I could spend Christmas eve with her and my other friends.

It was fair, but I still didn't like it much. I shouldn't be so ungrateful, but I was anyway. Don't ask me why, I just was.

Annabeth and I weren't even meeting much nowadays. I was often too busy with the Olympics coming up.

After a while, I made up my mind to go to her house.

--

When I reached Piper's, something was off. There was a black car in the driveway that just left. I wasn't able to see the drivers face, though.

Annabeth waved at me and she had a tired expression, it worried me.

'Who was that?' I asked.
'No one,' Piper said quickly. 'Let's go...'

Annabeth and Piper were oddly quiet as we sat in the lounge. They seemed to have been absorbed in a game of chess, and then one of them got angry so messed up the set up.

Annabeth took the White's King and started playing with it. Piper got up and excused herself for a glass of juice.

'How are you, Percy?' she asked me.
'Good...?'
'Perce,' Annabeth sighed. 'I've been thinking about us in the future, when we I go to Oxford-'
'The future's the future, we'll see about it then.' I stubbornly said.
'Per-'
'We've got each other now...' I took her hands. 'Let's focus on that.'

Annabeth opened her mouth to speak but clamped it shut. She nodded with a smile.

'So tell me...' I said. 'Have you thought of your present yet?'
'Nope, but just some time with you would be a great present.' she pecked my cheek. 'Lemme see what Piper is up to.'
I nodded.

The full lounge had a bunch of boot marks and some...

Blood.

Who had come and why and who's blood was that? I asked myself. That moment Annabeth entered back with Piper. I averted my eyes from the blood and looked for any marks on Annabeth. There was nothing. I also checked a bit on Piper, I found one scratch.

'Be right back,' I said.

I called Jason immediately.

Annabeth's POV

I was waiting for Piper to make her chess move. She was taking so long.

'Look, whatever you do, your Queen is gone.' I said.
'But- I just have a Queen and a rook and a bishop come on!'
'Well not my fault you didn't see it coming.' I took a bite of dark chocolate.
Piper furrowed her eyebrows.
'Play fast!' I said in an annoyed tone. My sudden words made Piper jump.
'OK, OK!' she groaned.

She moved her King and I cut her Queen. She buried her face.

'I surrender!'
'Yes!'

I took the money from the table and did a small dance. Then the doorbell rang.

'Let me check it,' she said.

Piper came in after a few minutes with a large scratch on her arm.

'Pipe-'
'Well, well, well.' said a familiar voice

º•º•º•º

'Luke,' I growled.
'Yep,' he came in.

I tried to hold my head high.

'What do you want?'

He sucked in air.

'I've seen you hanging around with Jackson lately.'
'Is it your problem?'
'Have you forgo-'
'No, but you don't control my life.'

He slammed the chessboard.

'I told you, you'd regret it if you both date-'
'We're not dating!' I lied. 'I don't like him like that, not anymore.'

he threw a vase at my hand, it started to bleed. Piper screamed.

'Leave! Or I will call the police!' she said through tears.
'Ok, ok... I just wanted to-'

She hit him on the head with a pan causing him to almost fall. Then she pushed him all the way out of the door. And slammed it.

'Annie!' she rushed over to me and inspected my bleeding hand.

After bandaging my hand, I changed into full sleeves to cover it all up.

'What do I do?' I groaned. 'Luke knows!'
'Look, it's fine,' she said. 'You did great, he knows nothing,'

I couldn't believe her. It seemed like Luke didn't believe me.

Hi, bye.