Chapter 17

Percy's POV

I never took the time to notice Annabeth's beautiful jawline. I got the chance when I gave her a quick peck over there in a thanks. To enjoy the moment was like asking for dyslexia to be taken away. Gabe hit my mother and she crumpled. Finally, sirens wailed outside.

'You'll regret that you...' 
I had no time to curse Gabe, because the door swung open. Thank gods. Annabeth had left the door open. Paul entered and screamed at Mom's body, which stirred ever so slightly. Cops swarmed inside.
'Him!' I cried frantically and desperately, 'It's him you want!'
My voice cracked and I broke down. First the fall, then the death, and now this.

Annabeth hugged me and stroked my back, sending light kisses on my head and resting her chin on it.

'I want a normal life,' I whispered. 
She crouched down, we were nose to nose.
'I just...'
'Percy...' sighed Annabeth, 'You have a normal life- but the situation isn't good. Come, let's leave this place.'
I let her lead me out of my house. We walked to her old house in time. Malcolm glanced at her and me. She nodded.
'Stay here,'
She walked in her house. Cue- screams from her step-mother. She walked out again, seemingly having ignored her step-mother. She was holding a frame.
'See this?' she asked me. It was a picture of Leo, Callie, Frank, Hazel, Piper, Jason and Annabeth on my back, laughing hard.
'What about it?' I said.
'You have friends, Perseus.' she said, using my real name. For once, it felt nice that someone used it; I never noticed how regal it sounded. 'And that's as close to a normal life anyone can get.'
She thrust the picture in my hand. I stared at it.
'What?'
'Are you that clueless?' she muttered, 'Take it as a keepsake, Percy.' 
I stared down at the photo, 'It's yours though.'
'Just take it, Percy,'
I stare again. This time I held it.
'Thank you,' I whisper.

Annabeth and I walk back to where my house was. The cops were having trouble. The cops were having trouble. Gabe was flailing around madly, trying to avoid them. Mom was trying to get up, Paul was helping her.
Finally, the cops caught hold of Gabe. They cuffed his hands and he writhed.

'You,' a lady cop said, clasping the cuffs, 'Are under arrest.'
'What? Why?'
'I think you know why,' she said, 'We'll see how long at the judges.'
Gabe groaned.
'Come on!' the cop ordered, 'Or else, we'll make sure the judges think about a life sentence- shall we?'
Gabe gave in.

The cops cleared and Mom got up. She went into the kitchen to make her famous seven layer dip, I only knew that because the smell wafted from the kitchen.

'I guess I'll get going, then,' Annabeth said.
'Stay,' I said, 'just stay for the dip- it's delicious.'
She laughed, but caught herself, she sniffed the air like a cute bunny 'Is that cinnamon in it? And blueberries?'
I grinned.
'I guess I can stay for a bit.'
I roared with laughter. Estelle had to suppress a grin herself.
'What?' Annabeth laughed.

After we stopped laughing, the air was cold and melancholic again. I supposed all of us half expected Tyson to barge through and say, I wanna laugh too!

I turned on the TV. Estelle took control of the remote. She flicked through a few movies and shook her head. She stopped at a few, tilted her head, and shook it again. I have never seen such a picky girl when it comes to movies. I wonder which parent passed the genes, Paul or Mom? I had a feeling it was Mom. That probably meant my real dad, Poseidon, had never been picky about movies. Estelle's eyes lingered a bit on Tellitubbies, but she switched the movies again. We finally settled on E.T.
Annabeth rested her head on my shoulder and when the dip came, she dug her spoon in the cinnamon and blueberry part, which were the first layers.

'Delicious!' she groaned, 'I could never have more! Cinnamon and blueberry! I have to learn how to make this!' she dug her spoon in again.
'Have it with something!' I laughed.
'It's fine!' she said, after taking a large gulp of the dip.

Annabeth's POV

Sally's Seven Layered Dip sounded awesome; it tasted awesome too. I made a mental note to not underestimate Sally.

'It's great, Sally,' I grinned as she sat down to watch E.T with us.
'Thank you, dear,' she smiled brightly.

Estelle was scrolling through her phone and smiling to herself, it made me wonder why, part of me already knew.
I didn't want to ask for more dip, however tempting it was. I didn't want to be a burden on Sally. Paul entered and sat down with us, watching the movie too. Then I remembered Piper would be wondering where I was, so I quickly texted her.

Hey! Sorry I forgot to tell you I'm at Percy's, I'll be there in time for dinner!- A
–.– better be. - P

Sorry! - A

I checked the time. Oh, it was time for dinner. I got a glass of water and drained it. Then I washed it.

'Hey,' I said, as the scrolling credits commenced, 'I'm gonna go.'
'OK.' Estelle said, 'Bye, Annabeth!'
'Bye, Estelle, Percy.' I nodded, 'Thanks for the dip, Sally,' I smiled.
She smiled back.

I walked down to Piper's house. Which was kind of mine now. It had been about a week since I left my house. The door was open, she must have sensed I'd be on my way now. Piper had grown to be a big sister to me, nowadays, I had never met her dad, for he'd be in his studio all the time and barely got out unless he had to go filming for his new movie, In the Jungle, where he was starring as an explorer.
I found Piper doing the dishes, I got a few and started helping.

'Can you get out the laundry?' she asked me. I had insisted on helping her around the house - finally she gave in and asked me to do these things casually; I was always more than happy to help.
'Yeah, sure!' I smiled. Piper looked worn out from doing the house-hold work, they had a house help around, but she had broken her leg and wouldn't be coming for months. Piper didn't want to hurt the feelings of the helper, Jessica, so she took care of her entire house, which was a four storey building, by herself.

I walked up two flights of stairs and took out the laundry. When I came down, Piper was done with the dishes and had started dinner. That girl was a miracle. I came up from behind and wrapped my arms around her neck.

'Is that tomato soup?'
'Yes,' she said, 'Not much, but it's all we've got - Can you get the groceries tomorrow before going to school? I've got to go for a walk early morning - you know that so-'
'Of course, Pipes.' I smiled
'Right, and after school I'll go and get the mail.' she smiled back, 'Do you want garnish on your soup?'
'No!' I laughed, 'You worry too much Pipes, a simple soup is fine.'

We had dinner and finally, for Piper's sake, I insisted we just enjoy. We played cards, monopoly and three questions, which was a game Piper used to play with her dad. We went to bed at eleven and woke up a few minutes before each of our alarm's rang. Piper was already getting changed for her morning run- it was six 'o' clock, school started at eight.

'So...' she handed me a list, 'Can you leave by around seven? I'll be back by then.'
'Yep.' I grinned.
'Thanks, Annie - you're the best.'
'Don't mention it - Go for your run.'

Piper went for her run, and I checked my phone for any texts. There was one from Percy.

The project?- P
Yeaa- A
I forgot about that
How about the... coffee store?- P
What will we find in a COFFEE store?- A
samples about how unhygenic people are- P
Ha ha- A
Alright then- Flurry's?- A
OK- P
After school- have your written points for the week?
Shoot NO!- A
We'll write it tomorrow- P
Fine- A
Bye!- P
see ya- A

So the coffee store, today after school. Let's see how unhygenic Flurry's can be.

Was it nice? I hope so! Don't forget to vote, follow and share! Every share means another read and every vote means a great chapter! It's not that hard! Just click or poke that little vote button! Thank you for reading! Love you guys!

See you in the next chapter.