Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Scarlette's POV

I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep, when I heard Kaylee start crying. I looked over at Andy who was holding her and he had a panicked look on his face. 

"Oh god, she's crying. What do I do?" He asked as I pressed the button to call the nurse.

"Let me see her." I said, holding out my arms. He hander her to me and I checked her diaper. Dry. She must be hungry.

"Is everything okay?" The nurse asked, walking in.

"I think she's hungry."

"Okay, do you plan to breastfeed?"

"No."

"Hold tight and I'll get a bottle." She said and left the room.

"Excuse me, what? You're not going to breastfeed?" Andy asked.

"No. It'll make it more difficult to return to work plus I'll ruin my body more than I already have."

"But, aren't breastfed babies like smarter or something?"

"That's a myth. As long as she gets fed, that's all that matters."

"I just thought this was something we would discuss together as parents."

"It's my body."

"But it's our child."

"As long as she's fed, that should be your only concern. Look, can we not fight while our daughter is screaming in my arms?"

"I'll be back." He mumbled, storming out of the room just as the nurse walked in.

"Here's the bottle." She said, walking over to me. She showed me how to feed her and then let me take over. She immediately stopped crying and started drinking. I smiled and stared down at my daughter, holding her close to me. The nurse told me to call again when she finished eating and then she left. She finished and I pressed the call button again. They showed me how to burp her and then I rocked her to sleep. Once she was asleep, the nurse put her in her bassinet for me.

The nurse left just as Andy walked back into the room. He sat in the chair next to my bed and stared at the wall.

"Where'd you go?"

"Out." 

"Kay asshole." I said, laying down in the bed. I turned my back to him and closed my eyes, quickly falling asleep. When I woke up, I noticed Kaylee wasn't in her bassinet. I turned on my other side to see Andy feeding her a bottle. He had the most content, proud smile on his face as he watched her eat.

"Hi." I said with a small smile.

"Oh, hi." He said, looking up at me. "Hey, I'm sorry about earlier. First of all, I shouldn't have fought with you when you literally just pushed a human out of your body.  Second of all, you're right. Being well fed is what will make her smart , not what she eats. Plus, she's got one smart parent to teach her."

"Correction, two smart parents." I said and he smiled bashfully.

**************************************************************************

Please leave a comment and let me know what you thought. Comments motivate me to update!