Chapter 3: Hiking

Chapter 3: Hiking

Scarlette's POV

*One Week Later*

I tied the laces on my shoe and then leaned back on the couch, pulling out my phone and scrolling through Instagram. Andy and I were going on our third date again. Since he's in the studio recording and I have a 9-5 job, we don't really have much time to hang out which sucks. Weekends have been the only time we are both available. 

Today was a nice day so I suggested we go hiking. Andy didn't seem too enthusiastic but agreed to go along with it. I was wearing a pair of black leggings, a red tank top, and black and white Nike shoes. My hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail and I had on some waterproof eyeliner so that I wasn't completely makeup free.

There was a knock on my door and I got up, grabbing my water bottle, phone, and keys. I went to go open the door and saw a smiling Andy on the other side. He was wearing a pair of black basketball shorts and a black muscle shirt with black Adidas sneakers.

"Why do I expect you to be wearing something other than black?" I laughed.

"I am!" He exclaimed and I raised my eyebrow. He turned to the side and pointed to the white stripe going down the side of his shorts. 

"Oh, wow." I said sarcastically, playfully rolling my eyes with a smile.

"Hey! Be proud of me!" He pouted.

"I am, I am." I chuckled and he gave me a big goofy grin. "Let's go." I said as I walked out of my apartment, closing and locking the door behind me. We walked out to his car and, like always, he opened my door for me. We got into the car and he started driving. We had decided to go to Runyon Canyon Park near Santa Monica. It was a 2.7 mile trail that went up a hill and back down, looping around. We parked in the parking lot and got out of the car. I put my phone in my pocket and grabbed my water bottle, meeting Andy at the front of the car.

"Let's do this." I said with a smile.

"You really want to make me hate you, don't you?" He laughed. "If I have a heart attack on my way up, it's you're fault."

"I'll take the blame." I said. We began walking up the hill and it was then I realized that I was more physically fit than Andy. Within the first five minutes, he was panting and started moving slower. I had to physically force myself to go slower so that he could catch up.

"How much longer?" He whined.

"Andy, we haven't even made it half a mile!"

"Oh my god!" He groaned. "My legs burn!"

"Well then we'll start doing this once a week." I laughed.

"No, no, no." He said through heavy breaths. 

"All we have to do is make it to the top. Downhill will be a piece of cake." I told him. The whole way up, I tried to motivate him. We finally made it to the top of the hill and Andy bent over, placing his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath.

"My chest is on fire."

"Stand up straight and put your hands on top of your head." I told him, showing him what I wanted to do. He raised his head to look at me before standing up and copying me. "It helps your lungs function better." I told him.

"Well, I've got smokers lungs so they're barely functioning."

"You'll be fine." I chuckled.

"A bench!" He exclaimed, running to the large wooden bench faster than I've seen him move all day. He got up on the tall bench with ease using the assistance of a few strategically placed rocks.