Chapter 43

“Song Yoon Min, currently 17 years old. She was brought to us by her parents when she was merely 6 weeks old.”

Mr. Choi placed her personal file on the desk and sighed lightly.

Seokjin took it in his hands and began to read whatever there was inside. After she fainted in his arms, he insisted the manager to take her to a hospital. But Mr. Choi wasn’t pleased with the idea and rather told him she wouldn’t like it and she was better off here in the orphanage.

It killed his kind heart to leave her before he could see her eyes open, he had to leave the orphanage that evening because he was a busy man with his own problems. Ever since then, his heart had been poking him every minute to go back to her and know her more.

And here he was, after three days, back in the manager's office to get her personal information.

As he was reading attentively although there was nothing important in the file other than her birth certificate and a few photos, he heard the manager speaking on his own,

“Cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart muscle that makes it harder for your heart to pump blood to the rest of your body. Unfortunately, she was born with this same disease, resulting her to have a weak heart since birth. And this is the very reason her parents gave her up.”

“Her parents didn’t want a sick heir like her to manage their business and conquer their wealth in future. So they signed her up for adoption and left their only child alone to survive in the world.”

Mr. Choi added, “Over the years, there were a lot of families who wanted to adopt Yoon Min. You know, she's a special girl. She can make anyone fall in love with her just by her kind, gracious personality and amazing choice of words.”

He started to smile faintly but sorrow took over when he mentioned next, “But every single one them turned her down once they realized she was sick. And like that, Yoon Min spent all her life around here, being rejected by adults and bearing a sick heart from childhood.”

Seokjin gulped down to realize she was an orphan. At first, he thought she might be a caretaker around here but it completely slipped out of his mind that she could be one of the children as well. He found an old photo of baby Yoon Min with her parents who had a cold look on their face. As if they hated their daughter to death.

He couldn’t suppress the sympathy for the young girl, he couldn’t imagine how people live with a past like that. A past that reminds you are unwanted, useless, a mistake to even born. A past where you are abandoned shortly after you are born.

Shaking off his thoughts, he returned the file and cleared his throat.

“I saw a w-woman that day-”

He didn’t have to continue more as Mr. Choi eventually cut him off,

“Yes, she's Ms. Seo Dan, the caretaker of our orphanage. I must say I do not like the way she treats the children.” he sighed lightly.