My old habits, I almost laughed. I thought I got over them in a while but since Eve appeared my life, I couldn’t contain myself. Unlike Angelica, she was all I didn’t like in a woman. Even though I couldn’t deny her beauty, Eve showed a so fucked-up version of her true self. She represented the coldness, the hate and the resentment to me. So how could I be attracted to her? However, she was the only one who could satisfy me sexually and it was reciprocal.

“It’s my life, Li. Leave me alone.” I protested, shoving my hands into my pockets.

“Now stop giving everyone advice about how they should live their lives and settle this issue.” He kept yelling even though I faked deafness to stop hearing him.

Liam was right, I started to drown in my old habits. I wouldn’t be doing that, since it destroyed my family and took all my friends away from me. That’s what I didn’t want all. I kept thinking while shuffling my feet in the large corridor heading to the kitchen, as I was fucking starving. The mansion seemed to be a huge labyrinth where I was turning in circle.

Similar doors lined up the corridor, and it didn’t help me at all find the kitchen. If I were sent to find my room back, I wouldn’t be able to reach it without getting lost. This place was awkwardly quiet and dark, only the filtered lights across the walls made my way clear. It gave the residence a lugubrious side that would make me shiver.

A silhouette took a shape at the end of the corridor. My pace became faster and faster as the hunger harassed my stomach. Soon, the silhouette had a face. It was an elderly woman who held a tray of food. Finally! Someone who can get me food! She was standing in front of an opened door. I stepped closer to her and attracted her attention with a cough, as she seemed in a deep conversation with the occupant of the room who was hidden behind the door.

“Excuse me, can I-” Before I can even finish my sentence, the woman signaled me to shut up with a hush. I recognized the lazy and annoyed voice behind the door. I pushed myself in front of the door to make sure my ears weren’t deaf.

Evelyn slightly smiled at seeing me; however, it was weak and forced. I saw who I expected in a lace nightdress, translucent enough to show me what was under her clothing. Fùck! I couldn’t take my eyes off her body anymore. It made me realize how much I was going in the wrong way. Forcing myself to look away from her clothing, my eyes settled on her face. She seemed exhausted: heavy bags hug under her eyes. Her long messy hair framed her face, leaving the impression that she just woke up. I scrutinized her face, trying to pick every little thing that could inform without having to ask her. One thing that attracted my stare was the colour of her eyes. They were intense blue, while they used to be chocolate-brown.

“Thank you for the explanation, Olga. You may leave.” She murmured as if she didn’t have the force to strongly talk as usual. The woman nodded at her with obsequious manners Anywhere Eve goes, there are employees to serve her. She shoved the tray of food into my hands. This was how people treat less rich people.

Evelyn seemed not to take notice of my presence at all and entered the room. I reluctantly followed her, shuffling into the large room. I bet mine was three times less spacious than hers was but they had the same furniture in them. Something caught my eyes as I scanned the polished floor. A huge metallic sign laid on there. But if she didn’t want to tackle the ‘sign’ subject yet, my mouth would keep shut. I settled the tray on her nightstand table and grabbed a croissant from the plate. I couldn’t help myself.

“Hey, you’re feeling that bad?” I asked, sitting next to her.

 “And do you have any idea of where we are?” Her voice squeaked, feeble and weak.