Chapter 42

Empire Chapter 42: Much 'I' Do About Nothing, a gossip girl fanfic | FanFiction

Chapter 42

Chuck's Point of View

"We both deserve happiness; whoever we may find that happiness with." She said before letting go of my hand and walking off to surely go find Blair and Serena. My breath hitched in my throat as I stood there paralyzed watching her walk away from me. I felt almost like I was high right now. My heart raced rapidly and my hands suddenly felt clammy. I've never been this interested in a girl before. Then again I've never had this girl either.

Lux caught up with Blair on the steps and I watched her laugh at something Blair said before they disappeared inside. In all the time that I've known Lux I've never taken the time to really get to know her. Now that I have I couldn't imagine not having her in my life. We're sort of one in the same, cut from the same cloth so to speak. I decided to walk out front and clear my head. Hopefully it would help me finish up this best man speech. I should have written something sooner but me being the master of procrastination I waited too long.

You could smell scent of rain in the air and I prayed the weather held out long enough to get the ceremony over with before we all got drenched. The guests were arriving by the hundreds at this point. This would be the wedding of the century that's for sure. Bass bags another beauty that's what the headlines read in the papers this morning. A group of photographers hurried past me as I walked up and down the sidewalk trying to put what I thought love meant into words. I guess that's the thing about love...you can't put it into words.

You feel it when she smiles back at you or when your shoulders brush against each other. You hear it in the silence as she sleeps on your chest completely content just to lie there locked in your arms. You see it when the lights are out and all you are turns to skin and bone. They way time moves to fast when I'm with her...The way that you fight and talk and share light hearted jokes with each other going to get coffee at Starbucks at one in the morning. My hand on her hip and her head resting on my shoulder like that's where it's been meant to be all along. That's what it feels like to be in love...

I let my thoughts sink in as I stood there dazed realizing what I probably knew all along.

"Best man ready to do his father proud?" The Captain asked making his way towards me with Nate trailing behind him after they'd exited there car.

"Captain, good to see you! You look well." I said extending my hand out to shake his. Nate stayed quiet behind his father as we exchanged a look with one another.

"Nate." I said acknowledging his presence. That was more than I could say he was doing. I know I screwed up by sleeping with Lux. Nate has always assumed she was the little sister of the group that we would all look after, but she was so much more than that. He doesn't see what I see or feel what I feel when I look at her. I never meant for it to happen. I never meant for my interest in her to ruin a lifelong friendship...

"Well clearly I've missed something since I've been away." The Captain said noticing our less than friendly demeanor towards one another.

"Look fellas I know you two have been friends a long time. Whoever she is, she's not worth it." He advised us patting Nate's shoulder lightly.

"I couldn't agree more." I replied tapping the index cards in my hand.

"That's the problem." Nate hissed under his breath pushing his way past me and heading up the stairs followed by his father. If he hates me so much why the hell did he even come today? I guess to support Serena and her mother.

After adding the finishing touches to my best man speech I decided to smoke a cigarette before heading back inside for the ceremony to begin. Once it starts it'll be hours before I can sneak off. As I stood on the sidewalk reading over my speech one final time I looked up to see Nate's father on the other side of the street having a heated conversation with someone that looked a lot like a drug dealer.