Chapter 66: The Real Slim Shady

Start from the beginning

"And how's the tour been? I know they did a big rollout for you, right?" the woman questions.

"It's the greatest honor of my life. Um, but I'm- I'm just a little shocked, I think. How did a guy like me end up here?" Walker replies with a short chuckle. That's what I'm wondering.

"Oh, wait, wait, wait. 'A guy like me?' Somebody's being a bit too humble," the woman chimes in. It's really not that humble, it's a thing everyone says. "For those of you who aren't familiar with John's résumé... John Walker, first person in American history to receive three Medals of Honor, ran RS-One missions in counterterrorism and hostage rescue. The government did a study of your body at MIT, and you tested off the charts in every measurable category: speed, endurance, intelligence," she summarizes. Photos and clips of Walker are displayed on the screen as she talks.

I scoff again. "Ooo, he's fast and strong, big deal," I mock, shaking my head in frustration.

"Look, here's the thing. Uh, I'm- I'm not Tony Stark," Walker commences. For some reason, I don't like hearing Tony's name out of his mouth. "I'm not Dr. Banner, okay? I don't have- I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts. Uh, something Captain America always had, always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it... because I got big shoes to fill." It's interesting how he didn't say he's not Steve Rogers... I roll my eyes for the hundredth time. Does he think having guts is all it takes to be Captain America??? Well, in that case, I guess any random person could be Cap. I'm already sick of this guy.

The interviewer questions, "did you know Steve Rogers?" This captures my interest. What's this motherfucker going to say?

"Well, I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene. I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. Uh, I- I like to think that I modeled my work after his."

"So you've always wanted to be a hero?"

"I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that. He gave me hope. Even though I never met him, he feels like a brother," Walker answers. I squeeze my fists hard, feeling a lump form in my throat. I don't believe he feels that way about Steve. Steve already had his family... and Walker certainly wasn't part of it.

"Wow," the interviewer reacts. I can't believe all these people are actually eating this up. This is pure bullshit. I turn off the tv and flop back onto the bed. I can't deal with this, I'm going back to sleep. I close my eyes and try to relax but John Walker's stupid ass is stuck in my head. I toss and turn, trying to go back to sleep but it doesn't seem to be working. Quite some time passes before I get super frustrated. I kick the blankets off of me and quickly get dressed and go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my hair. Once I'm done, I return to my room to put on my shoes and grab a jacket. I retrieve my phone from the bed and sigh.

Good thing I know where Sam works. I think of where I want to go and disappear in a cloud of lavender smoke. I reappear in front of a military airplane hangar. Man, I am so glad I learned how to teleport. I walk toward the hangar, immediately seeing both Sam and Bucky walking out. "No, you're not!" I hear Sam say. He and Bucky freeze when they spot me.

"Y/n? What are you doing here?" Bucky questions. I stop right in front of them and they give me a puzzled look.

"Hi, Buck," I greet the brunette before gazing at Sam. "Hi, Sam," I calmly speak.

"Uh, hi, y/n... haven't seen you in a while," he awkwardly replies. I nod, trying my best to remain calm.

"Yeah, well, I'm here because... I wanted to... I needed to ask..." I struggle to ask nicely so I just give up. "Why'd you give up the shield???" I blurt. Sam makes a face that says, not this again and I'm ashamed.