Seventy: Healers

The following morning, Isabelle woke up with Bill still wrapped tightly in her arms. His head still rested against her upper chest, and Isabelle smiled softly at how peaceful he looked while he slept and decided to let him sleep, knowing how much he needed it.

Isabelle laid there with him for a long, unknown amount of time until she realized he was awake, as he moved a bit and held onto her tighter.

"Good morning, darling," Isabelle said quietly, starting to run her fingers through his hair.

"Morning," Bill mumbled, his eyes still closed.

"Feeling better?" she asked.

Bill nodded silently, keeping his face buried in her chest.

"Something's wrong, I can tell," she said.

"I'm just thinking about what you said last night," he said. "You want to stop trying for a baby."

"I told you it would just be for a little bit, not forever," she said. "At least until I know that you're okay."

"I would rather have nightmares every night than not have the family that we want," he said.

"I know. You're always so selfless, darling," Isabelle said. "But sometimes you need to worry about yourself, too. I care more about your well-being right now than something we might not ever have, and I want you to not be hurting so much."

"Iz-"

"I know that your mind is always somewhere far away. Every time I touch you, even the smallest kisses, I'm afraid that I'll remind you of her. I hate being the reason that you're hurting," she said.

"It's not your fault, Isabelle. You didn't do this to me," Bill said.

"Maybe not, but we know what triggers the nightmares and if we can avoid them then we should," Isabelle said.

"Would I be enough for you, then?" Bill asked quietly.

"What?" Isabelle said, surprised. "Do you really think that having sex with you is all that I care about? That that's the only reason I love you?"

Bill didn't answer her and looked away from her, and she shook her head.

"Bill, I didn't fall in love with you because of that. I fell in love with you because you're so kind, and brave, and selfless, and caring. I fell in love with the way you smile, how you light up around kids, how you space out when you're thinking and run your hands through your hair when you're stressed, and how you ramble about your day until you forget what we were talking about," Isabelle said with a small smile. "I fell in love with the most understanding and loving man to exist, who will be an incredible husband and even better father, who I wouldn't trade for anything in the world."

Bill was quiet for a long moment, but he moved so he was holding her closer. "I love you," he eventually said. "I don't know what I did to deserve you."

"You deserve everything good, Bill. You deserve to be happy all of the time without having to worry about the things in the past, as well as a wife who is trying to love and support you through it all," she said.

"I just don't want to give up having a family with you. We don't know how long it will be before I'll be okay again," Bill said.

"I understand, and I don't want to give up either. I just want you to be fine first so that you'll be able to be the dad you've always wanted to be."

Bill was silent again for a minute before speaking. "Thank you, darling."

"For what?" she asked, confused.