Sixty Five: What Really Happened

*Mature Content Warning*

"Please."

"How am I supposed to believe you when, as far as I know, all you've done is lie to me for weeks at least," Isabelle said.

"I didn't lie to you, Isabelle," Bill said.

"You did. You told me that you loved me," she argued.

"Iz," Charlie said quietly from where he stood against a wall not far from the pair.

"I do love you. God, I love you more than anything," Bill said.

"More than her?" Isabelle said, her tone cold.

"I don't love her, Isabelle. Please just let me explain," Bill said.

Isabelle shook her head as she started to tear up again, and if looks could kill, Charlie would have murdered Bill where he sat.

"I don't know how to get you to believe me," Bill said.

Charlie was quiet for a second more before speaking up. "There's a Potions Master here at the sanctuary, for healing and sleeping draughts and such. I'm sure he would have a thing of veritaserum somewhere."

"Then get it," Bill said firmly, looking up at Charlie. "If that is what it takes for you to listen to me."

Charlie glanced over at Isabelle. "It's your choice, Iz. You can just tell him to leave if you want."

"Get the potion, Charlie. Please," Isabelle said.

——————

Charlie was barely gone five minutes, hardly trusting the two of them alone for much longer, before he came back with a bottle of veritaserum in hand.

"Just a few drops, he said," Charlie said, handing Bill the bottle. "Everything you say will be the truth."

"I know how veritaserum works, Charlie," Bill said as he opened the bottle and took the potion.

Charlie took the bottle back from Bill as they both looked at Isabelle, waiting for her to be ready.

"Tell me what really happened."

——————

Two weeks ago

When Bill was at work that early afternoon, walking through the halls of Gringotts Bank after inspecting a vault as he was told, he didn't expect to see his fiancée just a few meters ahead of him.

A smile filled Bill's face as he sped up his pace to catch up with her, his tall build being useful, until he was able to reach out for her, grabbing her hips and spinning her around to press her against the nearby wall.

"What is this gorgeous woman doing here?" Bill grinned as he felt her relax in his arms.

"Fleur asked me to join her for lunch, since I don't have any classes this afternoon," Isabelle said.

"Is that what was in that letter that you were so shaken about? Having lunch with Fleur?" Bill asked with a small chuckle.

When Isabelle just looked away from him, his smile faded, realizing that is something she had dreamed about. "Was this something you've seen before?"

Isabelle didn't answer him at all for a moment, worrying him, then nodded.

"Well," Bill said, pushing her chin up gently to make her look at him. "If you're hoping to come back to find me cheating on you, I think you're going to be disappointed."