Chapter 37 - Bad Surprises

Hands were on my mouth, more tying my own behind my back. I screamed, my heart rate rising astronomically fast. I writhed under the mass of bodies holding me down, but hips bucking, trying to get them off. The hand over my mouth constricted my breathing, a new one coming to cover my eyes. I screamed, memories overtaking me as my blood ran cold.

Everything is happening so fast.

I had been in a restless sleep a few moments ago, tossing and turning in the back of the car, but now there were unfamiliar hands on my body, dragging me up. Hands holding my legs still at the ankles and knees. Hands holding my hips down. Hands holding my arms down at the wrist, elbow, and shoulder. Hands compressing my neck so hard I couldn't breathe. A hand pulling my hair, hard. A hand covered my eyes as they all manhandled me out of the small car. A gloved, wet hand on my mouth.

Chloroform.

Blind, hot panic set in, and any grogginess from my short nap disappeared as the reality of the situation set in.

I was running out of air. I knew in a few seconds I would have to breathe, but the chloroform would knock me out within seconds. I could already feel the chemicals acting.

This isn't what I wanted. I wanted to go back to Alex. I wanted to find another way for this to work. Even panicked, my mind knew that I would have gone back when I woke up. I had subconsciously chosen to not go through with this, but now?

Now my boss sent men after me. Men that were leaving bruises over my body and trying to knock me out. Men that brutally woke me up in the dead of the night to kidnap me. Men that kidnapped me to bring me to Ivor, so I could die.

I just want to go back to Alex...

My fatal mistake was breathing.

I woke up inside a white, plain, bare room. Nothing was in it besides me. It was fairly small, but the door was nowhere to be seen. I winced at the soreness on my body as I looked around, the effects of the damn chloroform wearing off. I feel that my burner phone and my weapons are still in my pockets but I know they will not remain there for much longer. I know this is the room Ivor will kill me in.

I am numb again.

I called Alex one last time. He didn't pick up. I just left a message. I looked at his number on the new burner phone one last time, all the memories rushing back to me.

The pool, the Cafe, the way his fingers curved around my hips, the butterflies he gave me.

I miss him so much.

I sighed, pulling my braided hair over my shoulder and popping my knuckles. Confidence surged through me as I was able to put Alex and anything related to my emotions out of my mind. The sound of footsteps echoed from behind the walls and I focused on one thought.

I focused on the fact that I could beat these guards' asses with a fish up my butt.

I could almost feel my mindset shifting from him and my stupid decisions to my normal, confident, ass-kicking self. And this time, I was pissed off. Power surged through me, and I welcomed the cold numbness this state offered.

Power.

I may be making some very reckless, dumb, stupid decisions, but I am still the best assassin in the mafia. It would do me well to not forget that.

A flood of guards poured into the room, but I didn't bother to stand up. My head turned in a circle to see how many people surrounded me and all the potential weapons I could use against them. I flicked an invisible speck of dust off of my nails and straightened my clothes.