Chapter 31 - Always in the Shower

I ran my hands through Audrey's hair, spreading the shampoo around. She leaned into me, her wet back moving against my chest. I smiled and gently washed all the shampoo out. She closed her eyes, and I kissed her forehead, wrapping my arms around her. She snuggled into me, and I chuckled. She's so fucking cute.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" I asked. Audrey groaned.

"Not enough. I stayed outside until it was light to make sure they were safe." She lied, turning around and wrapping her arms around my waist. I sighed, knowing she would only stay up if she was overthinking or having nightmares. She loved her sleep.

I wish her boss didn't call her before he called me. I wish I could make this better, but shit's a fucking mess. Because he said the same thing to me. That if Audrey wasn't dead within a week or if she went near me, he would kill her. I know that if she goes to him, he will kill her, so either way, she would be dying. That's why I had to find her. But he said the same things to her, a day before. Fuck me in the ass.

"I need to tell you something, Princess," She frowned, pulling away from me.

"That just sounds bad." She said, doubt lacing her voice. She pulled the shower door open and tossed a towel at me. She wrapped one around her body, and I wrapped the other around my waist. She climbed out and started brushing out her hair. I grabbed the brush from her, gently running it through her hair. She smiled, leaning against me again. My heart ached with heaviness - as I could not allow myself to feel happy when so much could go wrong.

I wish that it could always be like this, I wish that these tender, loving moments could be us forever.

But technically, we were supposed to kill each other. I needed to tell her that too. I needed to tell her why my boss is talking to me, and why he is mad at me.

"What did you need to tell me?" She asked, her voice soft. I sighed, looking at her in the mirror. Her eyes met mine, the dark brown such a light shade that they looked like gold. I shook my head.

"Later," I decided. She nodded and pulled away from me. Audrey grabbed new clothes from her dresser and slid them on while I slid on my old ones.

The rest of the day sped by. I talked to James most of the day. He was very interested in the Mafia. Slowly, a plan formed in the back of my mind. It is a shit plan, but I hoped it would work to save Audrey. Levi kept joining in our conversations, and she kept finding reasons to touch me.

I'm used to girls flirting with me, but not my girl's sister.

I was glad that James kept Levi away from us most of the time. Audrey was catching up with her parents most of the day. Her tattoo kept distracting me - it looked so sexy on her. I tried my best to memorize it, hoping I could get the same thing one day.

"Bro, you're starting to be creepy with your staring," James said, chuckling. I playfully glared at him. "So, what makes you think that you deserve to be with her?" I stared at him. This older brother's protective shit was cheesy as hell.

"I don't," I shrugged. "As simple as that," James nodded.

"How long you two been a thing?" He asked. I laughed.

"A month and a half, but I've never been more sure about something in my life, and that's saying something when you're the Mafia king," I said. James nodded again.

"Look man, I trust you, and I like you. But if you hurt her, then I will kill you, I don't care if I'm not in the Mafia, or anything, I'll still kill you." He said. I chuckled. The amount of gall this whole family has will never not surprise me.

"If I'm still alive after she's done with me."

After everyone went to bed, Audrey plugged her phone in and went outside. I quickly texted her boss.

Leave her the fuck alone.

Alexander, I was wondering when you would text me. It has been a while.

Leave Audrey out of this.

Oh, it's Audrey now, is it? I am not repeating myself. Give her up.

My fingers started shaking. He wasn't going to give up on this. I can't let her go, I just can't. She can't be killed. I will do anything to keep her away from him, even if I have to tie her down to my bed.

Are you willing to bargain?

The only deal you will get from me is a promise that I will leave you alone after you give her to me.

I groaned in frustration. This was not working out the way I needed it to.

I am not giving her up.

Then it looks like we don't have a deal. Either way, she will come to me.

I sighed and deleted the messages, setting the phone down.

Cock-sucking, life-ruining peacock. Damnit.

Just before I walked out the door to join Audrey, the phone rang again. I sighed and walked back over to it.

I look forward to your future, son.

Five minutes later, I sat out by Audrey on the front lawn, despite the fact that we both knew no one was coming for her family yet, and she leaned against my shoulder. I pressed a kiss against her forehead, and she smiled. Her smile was one of the things I could never get tired of seeing.

"What did you need to tell me?" She asked, her voice soft and quiet in the night. I sighed.

"I don't want to tell you but I don't think I have a choice anymore," I said. I pulled her into my lap, kissing her shoulder. She chuckled a bit, her fingers tangling with mine.

"Just tell me, I have a feeling that it's bad." She said. I sighed, pressing my cheek into her back.

"Okay fine. You remember that I was born into the mafia, right?" I waited for her nod before continuing. "When I was young, my father and I got into a lot of fights. I finally ran away when I was fourteen and I went to Russia. I found the Mafia gang there, and the leader took me in. He trained me, and he loved me like his own son. He let me take over a few days before he was killed, and now my father is after you because he knows I love you. He called me two days after you left and told me that if I didn't kill you, he would because you are my mission. It's you that I was supposed to kill, but I couldn't." My voice was dead. Audrey tensed up in my arms, sucking in a breath.

"Your father is my boss, isn't he? That's why you are enemies?" She asked. I nodded. She let out a panicked laugh, shaking her head.

"God, it's like I think my life is as bad as it can get, but then it just gets worse." She laughed again. I sighed, guilt making my heart heavy.

"I'm sorry," I said. She stopped laughing. "God, Princess, I'm so sorry," I said. She turned around so that she straddled me. Her hands cupped my face, and her eyes met mine, the firmness in them surprising me.

"Don't you ever apologize. You don't owe me, or your father anything, okay?" She said her tone firm. I smiled.

"Damn Princess, tough girl act back up?" I teased and she smirked, her hands sliding up into my hair. She kissed me, and I ran my hands through her hair. the strands tangling around my fingers. My phone ringed with a text but we both ignored it.

"No matter what, just promise me that we will be okay?" She whispered, breaking the kiss and leaning against me. I smiled again at the tender moment.

"No matter what," I confirmed.

No matter what I have to do, this girl will be fine, with or without me.

Because if it came down to saving her life or saving our relationship, I hate to admit that I could save her over myself or us. Because she was worth that and so much more.