16

***
TW: sexual assault/harassment and mention of rape.
I would just like say that for this chapter, Renny definitely handles the situation that happens to her in her own way. i know not all people wouldn't handle that in her way but everyone handles things differently and i just wanted to say that! if anything like this has ever happened to you, i am so so sorry and however you handled it is valid and okay! everyone is different. 🤍

____________________________________

***

How ironic that I don't trust strangers? yeah
I've never felt this tired

***
_________________________________

CHAPTER 16

Renny's Pov.

"So what do you like to do for fun Edie?" I asked him as I wiped the counters down.

On Fridays, for obvious reasons, we close a bit earlier because of the event at 12. We're getting ready to close and I'm extremely bored.

His laugh filled my ears and it was the nicest sound. I love Edie. I wonder how many times I think that to myself in a single shift.

"Well, I have a lovely wife. I spend all of my free time with her. She's quite a big fan of flowers so I try and take her to all the botanical gardens I can find." "Botanical gardens? What's that?"

He cocked a brow with a smile in what looked like shock.

"You've never been to a botanical garden? What about the one in the city?" I shook my head with a laugh. "Is it just a garden?" "Oh darling it's huge. Botanical gardens range from about 15 to 100 acres. Give or take. They have different sections for different plants and flowers. A lot of them group them into sections depending on their native regions. They'll have the Japan section, Asia section, China, etcetera. They have rose gardens. Some even have butterfly exhibits."

My ears perked up hearing that a place like this exists. I never knew this was a thing. And there's one in the city?

"And there's one in the city?" I asked as I hopped to sit on the counter top. "Sure is. Such a beautiful one too. I took my wife to one in Texas a few months back. It was one of the most beautiful ones we've been to." "Are they expensive?" "Not at all. They range from about 10 to 30 dollars a person depending on the area it's in." He explained and I was shocked at the affordable price.

"I wanna go. That sounds insane. I always loved flowers and things growing up." "Did you? You have a lot of flowers you grew?" "Well no, but Mick and I, my friend, used to walk past this woman's home in the city pretty much everyday and she had a yard full of flower and plants. It was so beautiful. Whenever she was in the garden, she would let me help her. It was so much fun." I chuckled and he smiled such a heartwarming smile.

"That sounds like a happy memory. Did you grow up in the city or here in Staten Island?" "I grew up in the city. My friend Mick and I did up until we moved here at 16." "16? That's mighty young." "Yeah. We were in foster care for a little while." I explained with a shrug, not feeling uncomfortable explaining this to him.

It was a nice feeling.

I haven't willingly spoke about this to anyone since I was 16. This is the first time. And it didn't feel weird or uncomfortable.