2

_________________________________

***

Running and running towards what I'm becoming
On the way, on the way, on the way, on the way

***
_________________________________

Chapter 2

Renny's Pov.

"And this is where all the draft beers are. Most people that come in here drink liquor so the only time you'll really get anyone asking for a beer is usually in the afternoon." Edie informed me as he showed me around the back of the bar.

I've bartended so I know the basics. He seems pretty confident in my skills too. He asked me how to make certain cocktails, to which I all answered correctly, and now he's just showing me where everything is. It's just him and I here now, apparently he mainly works by himself.

"So is there a reason we're the only two workers?" I asked and he chuckled. "Well, the big man doesn't like many employees. He doesn't like bringing in new people. I've worked with him for years and we've had very few people work here beyond me. I needed some extra help though so I put up the sign for help."

I realized he refers to the boss, or maybe the owner, I don't know, as the big man a lot.

"Wait, so he doesn't know you hired me?"

Is that legal? For an employee to hire someone instead of the boss? I'm very confused. Am I even actually hired?

"He does now. We do have one more employee but she only works on nights we really need it." He informed and I nodded. "Her name is Enid. We have events here every once and a while. She works those as well. We get pretty busy then."

What kind of events does a bar have? A fucking birthday party? I mean?

He showed me a few more things such as the cash register, how to use it, how to open tabs on their system etcetera.

"Now, we only have two customers. I have to run down the street and pick up something for the big man. Shouldn't be longer than 15 minutes. My number is on a sticky note on the cash register. If you need me, you call. I won't be long."

He's fucking joking right? He's leaving me alone?

"Wait, really?" I asked and he chuckled. "I'll be back. We don't get busy around this time at all. You'll be fine. You got this." He told me with an encouraging smile before walking around the counter.

As he headed to the front door, I started to get anxious. This is my first day. What if someone robs me? Or someone realizes i'm alone now and forces me into giving them free alcohol? Wow. Okay. Calm down Renny.

"Hey, uhm can I get one more?" The older man at the end of the bar asked as he watched some sports game on the tv hanging from the wall.

I remembered he was drinking rum and coke so I quickly made him another, which he calmly and graciously thanked me for before adverting his attention back to the tv.

The next five minutes passed by while the two men just minded their business and no one else came in.

I'm getting paid more than I was at my other job which I don't really get considering it seems like no one comes in this fucking place. Not complaining, I just don't completely understand.