Chapter Forty-Six

I take no time in getting out of that groggy tavern and back into the truck. This is what I expected so I don't understand why I'm so angry at the outcome. No expectations. That's how it should have been.

But there's that small part of me that just wanted my mother back.

I shake the thoughts away. I'm over it, she has been out of my life long enough that I don't care anymore. I simply don't care.

"Did you recognise her?" I question as I start the engine. We need to get out of here and quick. God knows what the woman's next move is but we need to be out of here before she decides.

"Hm?" Rose seems to be snapped out of whatever trance she was in.

"What's up with you?" I ask more gently as we start down the dirt road. We're far from the centre of town, nothing but forest to be seen for miles. That's why I was a bit sceptical about coming here but I suppose a woman like my mother needs to hide away.

A coward. That's the only word to describe her.

"Nothing... what do you think about your mother?" she asks and I can hear the hesitation in her voice. This is not about what I think right now. I need to know what she's not telling me.

"What happened when you saw her? Do you know her?" I avoid her question and ask my own.

"I... I saw her when I went to find Maximus... she was talking with some guy and then they were the ones to..." Rose trails off and I know exactly what she means.

I pull over the truck and run my hand over my face, taking deep breaths.

It was fine having my suspicions but now that they have been confirmed, I don't know what to do. There's only one thing we can do. We have to take her down alongside the rebels.

"She sided with the rebels, of course she did... we knew it even before we went there," I sigh in utter defeat. I knew it, I just didn't want to believe it.

"What are we going to do?" Rose says, just below a whisper.

"I don't know... just - just give me some time and I'll figure it out," I breathe and go to turn the engine back on but Rose's hand wraps around mine.

"We'll figure it out together okay, whatever we have to do," she says, her hand warming mine. I lace my fingers through hers and let her words soak in.

Together.

It's going to need some getting used to hearing that word. I've gotten so used to doing things myself, I've never had to consider another person.

"We need to tell my father then he can do as he pleases with the information," I explain and she nods.

"If that's what you want to do," she says softly and I brush my thumb over the top of her hand. What in the world did I do to deserve her? I don't think I will ever stop asking myself that question, nor will I ever get the answer.

***

Rose

As soon as we pull up to the facility, I can feel myself drifting towards sleep. The truck halting alerts me and I will myself to open my eyes. The drive seemed even longer than it did going there and even more tiresome.

"Go back to our room and sleep, I'll talk to my father," Colton says softly and my eyes snap to his. Ours. I can't help the grin that tugs at my lips. "Are you okay?" he asks hesitantly - obviously not realising what he just said.

"Our?" I question, still grinning like an idiot. He looks away but I see the smile on his face.

"Yes, our," his eyes meet mine again. For a moment I just stare into those green eyes. For a moment I just take in his face. Just for a moment.