Chapter Twenty-Eight

Rose

I have spent the last few days in bed, I'm in a slump I guess you could say. I've been left alone for the majority of it, thank god, other than Zach coming in a few times and offering if I wanted to join him and Natasha. Which I then of course said no.

I'm certainly not in the mood for some good old fashioned third wheeling - especially not with my best friend and his girlfriend.

I despise people in love, I despise happy couples. Anything to do with love.

Love is pointless and a waste of your time.

This annual event thing for the neighbouring sectors is coming up and I am sure that I will be surrounded by disgusting people in love. Everyone in fancy gowns, dressed to impress.

I couldn't think of anything worse.

Yes this completely has everything to do with Colton. He has ruined my very perception of love and I'm sure that the rebels brain washed me themselves when I had come back and admitted to myself that I had loved him. And slept with him.

I've convinced myself that it was all because I was lonely and that I had turned to the only person I could. I made some reckless decisions that I am sure will haunt me until the grave but I can get over it. Get over him.

Someone starts pounding on the door and I groan as I lift the covers over my head, hiding from the world. "Rose, open the door!" Melissa shouts from the other side and I groan again. "You need to get out of this room and do something with your life!" she shouts.

"Go away," I mumble but I hear her start fumbling with the lock. "What are you doing?" I grumble and the door flies open. That little...

"I know how to pick a lock... you'll find it's quite a handy skill," she says from the door way and I contemplate throwing something at her.

"What. Do. You. Want," I say as she closes the door and plops down on the bed beside me.

"For you to get out of this bed and stop feeling sorry for yourself," Melissa eyes me up and down. "And for you to take a shower," her nose scrunches and I bury my face in my hands.

"I am perfectly fine the way I am... thank you," I huff and she rolls her eyes.

"We need to get dresses for the ball," Melissa blurts out and I wish that I would just die right here, right now.

"I am not going to that," I profess and she looks at me as if I have slapped her.

"You are going and I don't care if I have to forcefully remove you from your bed to get you to go. Besides, you get to meet Bri," great, Melissa's girlfriend. More love. Why is everyone in love, it's insufferable. "And... added bonus... there will be hot guys," she raises her eyebrows suggestively.

"What makes you think that I will be swayed by a few good looking guys?" I mean it makes it more tempting, yes, but I'm not only about men. I've had enough bad experience with them to not want to involve more of them in my life.

"C'mon you think I don't notice all of that sexual tension between you and Colton? A blind person would be able to see it. You need to let loose and have some fun and the guys that will be there are perfect for that," the offer is tempting but I really and truly cannot be bothered.

"You're speaking as if from experience... care to explain?" I ask and raise my eyebrows in questioning.

"I like the best of both worlds," she laughs and I join her. "Please go," she insists and I roll my eyes at her persuasiveness.