Chapter Six

"And what might that be?" his arms are warm around my body, causing goosebumps to rise, and I pray that he can't see the way his touch is effecting me. Not that it is.

"The knife that you need so badly that you break into my room to find it," his fingers rub circles on my skin and I have to keep reminding myself that he is a monster, that his touch shouldn't be doing this to me. It's the alcohol, nothing more.

I remind myself of how he corners me, how he hurt me, how he held his hand to my throat earlier and the times before that.

"I didn't break in... your door was unlocked," I say snidely. Colton's arms tighten and I step back into him without thinking. I hear him suck in a sharp breath and I can't help the smug grin that finds home on my lips.

We're too close, we shouldn't be standing like this. I pull his arms off of my body and, to my surprise, he lets go easily. I turn to face him.

"If I stay here... you'll give me my knife back?" I strike a deal.

"Yes love," he agrees but I don't believe him. I look at him skeptically. I have no reason to trust him, he has done nothing to earn my trust.

"For some reason I don't trust that you will," I say and move closer to him. We seem to move closer to each other without knowing - like an invisible rope is between us, tugging us towards each other at all times.

"You'd be stupid to trust me," well at least he is honest and self-aware.

"I'll... be leaving then," I smile and as soon as I reach for the door handle he speaks.

"Well, then you're definitely not getting it," I am freezing so it would mean a great deal if we could just hurry this conversation up. I have two options here - leave and I won't get it back at all or stay and maybe get it back but maybe not. I hate him and his ultimatums.

"Fine," I huff. "But I need something to wear, I'm not staying like this," I've mostly sobered up from this whole ordeal but I can still feel the slight buzz running through my veins and my mind is far from clear, both from his presence and my intoxication.

Colton rolls his eyes but gets me something to wear nonetheless. He comes back with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I put them on, hastily, and find that they are far too big for me but come to the conclusion that it's better than nothing.

Anything is better than nothing in this situation.

"Thank you," I say and he tenses... weird. "What... what time is it?" I ask and he pulls out his phone. I think I left mine in my room or I've lost it somehow.

"Two in the morning," I didn't know it had gotten so late, it felt like only moments ago I had arrived back at the facility. This is probably the longest that we have ever gotten along for, but my feelings towards him haven't changed and I don't think they ever will.

Besides, it's probably best that it stays that way. For the sake of everyone.

***

Colton undresses and I have to force my eyes to look at anything in the room other than his toned body. He then flicks off the light before getting into bed and I stand there awkwardly... does he want me to sleep on the floor or? Walking down the corridor half-naked seems like a much better option now, whether I get my knife back or not.

"What are you doing?" he asks in his usual rude tone. I'm sure people would find him much more delightful if he spoke to them like a real person and not as if they were some rabid animal.

"I'm not sleeping in a bed with you," I cross my arms and I can already tell he is rolling his eyes.

"I'm tired and you're pissing me off, can you just get in the bed and go to sleep," Colton huffs.