Chapter Thirty-Six

My father walks in with his usual smug smile and I almost laugh at the sight. Such pride and power he bestows but he has no clue what he has coming. What I have in store for him will wipe that grin straight off of his face.

"Are you okay?" Colton asks quietly from beside me and I hadn't realised that I was still grinning from ear to ear. I quickly stop smiling and turn to face him.

"Fine," I say and look back to my father. More than fine. I can already feel the relief building in my bones, the triumph flowing through me. My father is finally going to get what he deserves and no one is going to stand in my way.

"You're allowed to be angry Rose," Colton says and I scoff. I have the right to be more than angry. My father is lucky that I didn't come after him as soon as I had heard of his treachery towards my mother. I couldn't care less what he had done to me over the years but having my mother killed and lying to me about it was the final straw.

"I'm done being angry," I confess and I see Colton's face blanch in the corner of my eye. Colton grabs my wrist, turning me to face him as my father walks up to the dais.

"Don't do anything stupid," he says, his eyes pleading but it's too late for that. My father dies tonight and that is final. I don't care how I have to do it or what I have to do... it's happening.

"I wouldn't dream," I deadpan. "Now if you wouldn't mind, I'm going to use the restroom and no I do not need you to escort me there," I tear my hand from his grip and he lets go with surprising ease before I turn on my heel and head towards the exit.

***

My shoes click against the concrete floors as I make my way down the silent corridors, towards the drawing room. Maximus should be here soon, as long as he doesn't run into any trouble and manages to get in through the fire exit door without being seen.

With my luck though, I am sure I am going to have countless other problems tonight and countless other people that are going to get in my way.

I check my surroundings before creaking open the door and quickly sliding into the room, trying to make as minimal noise as possible.

I am welcomed with Maximus lounged in an arm chair, a book in his hands, the picture of nonchalance. "You're early," I say and his eyes snap up from the book. He slowly closes it and stands up.

"It's good to see you well Rose," Maximus was the one who healed me and helped restore my memories when the rebels had tried, and failed, to kill me.

"Thanks to you," I say and nod my head.

"Why am I here?" straight to the point I see.

I hadn't discussed any specifics with Maximus because I didn't want the risk of word getting out that I was planning on killing the lead commander. I won't be telling Maximus the reasons behind me calling him here either because, quite frankly, I can't trust him.

"I need you to do a little witchy woo on my father, slow his heart a little... just a scare," I explain and his face twists.

"Your father... the lead commander? That's treason," he whisper-shouts, eyes wide in terror. I haven't asked much of him. At first I was considering to make Maximus just kill him, simple and easy. Lucky I went with plan B.

"Relax... I'm only asking you to give him a little scare," I scoff. "Besides, I have what you want," I didn't want to have to resort to bribery but he seems harder to sway than I have time for.

"And what is that?" Maximus says lowly, walking towards me. I inch backwards, wanting to keep space between us.

"I heard that you've been wanting to advance in your practice but have no one to practice on... after the attack, we have a whole facility of people that still need help," I shrug and I see the hesitation in his eyes.