Chapter 46

Sylvie
As I crossed the sidewalk, I watched my steps because there were no lights. The cool air was blowing and stirring my wavy hair, I smelled this gorgeous fragrance of the night mixed with the smell of wildflowers while I heard from the other line of the phone, Anthi's anxious voice.

"How is he?"I asked her.

"Still fainted, he hasn't even moved since you left. Did you find her?" she asked me.

"Not yet, I'm getting closer."

"I swear Sylvie, I will lock you in your room when you come back. Even Stiles found it very dangerous for you to meet her," she said.

"I can't just hide myself and do nothing, especially now that I'm in danger."

She was way more worried than I was. It was obvious.

I saw Nancy waiting a few meters away from me.

"She's here. I gotta go!"I said, hastily.

"Wait, don't end the phone call, It would be safer if I hear the conversation through the phone and...What are you going to do with that baseball bat Riley?"I heard Anthi through the phone.

I turned it off without any second thought. Nancy was some meters away from me,  her body leaning on her car's door. Her long intact ponytail and the red leather jacket were the features that helped me recognise her. Her car was as black as her personality. She nodded at me and got into the car. I hovered outside the car for a moment, a moment of hesitation overwhelmed my senses. All the pain she caused to me and Derek, has stayed
indelible.

I took a big breath and got into the car, looking straight at the road. I didn't want to look at her.

"What took you so long?" she asked me.

I didn't answer.

"I will not conduct a frisk on you because according to the number of years, I have known you, I believe that you would do anything to discover the truth that torments you, even to be in the same car with the person you hate the most," she said.

I stared at her for a while. Our eyes met, her grey eyes made her gaze cold but it also could be because of the darkness that prevailed in the car.

I shouldn't seem desperate. Not in front of her.

"Why don't you go straight to the point?"I asked her.

"Sure," she said and took out of the storage compartment a package that wasn't big enough. It was the same size as a book. "It's from Isabel."

I looked at her first and then took the package.

Why would Isabel give a package to me? It was the first time she did that. What could it be inside that I haven't seen?

"Do you know what's inside?"I asked Nancy while my eyes kept examining the package.

"No."

"Could there be something in this box of Isabel to help me?"I asked her ironically.

"That is not Isabel's. She found it the night of the fight. She told me to give it to you." she said and pointed at the package with her finger.

I did not want to open it in front of her because whatever was in, it would not be for my good. Nancy shouldn't see what's in there, for my safety.
That's what I thought. Whatever was inside that box it wouldn't be for my good. Why would my evil and cunning sister harm me again?

I wanted to slam the car's door at her and leave but the fact that I was that close to Nancy made me want to ask her my most open question. Where is Derek?