ᴡɪɴᴅʙᴏʀɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

Venti glanced down, realizing the necklace he held in hand was strewn over his neck. So he let go in fear he was choking the stranger, at the same time ending this foreign vision.

The necklace fell from his grasp as if he'd just been stung by it. And his hand retreated against his other, gently rubbing the skin where contact had been made.

It fell onto the floor from a small distance. (Y/n) stared at it, and then she glanced over towards Venti.

"...What happened?" She asked him.

The bard rubbed his head with a few fingertips, his hat slightly slipping to the side. "...Take good care of it," He muttered through a groan. "It must mean a lot to whoever it belongs."

(Y/n) knelt down in front of him, her hands gently pressed to both his cheeks. When her skin touched his face, he froze.

"Forget the necklace," She said. "I'm asking you if you're okay?"

Venti stared wide eyed at her. And upon meeting her (e/c) eyes, he felt his perspective shift lens.

Suddenly, the raindrops no longer clung to the leaves of the vast branches. The gentle wind shook them from their hold, taking their nourishment elsewhere. It carried with them a tune that reached his ears, unfolding right before him in a form he'd never seen.

"Tell me, do you know how to play any instruments?" He asked seemingly out of the random.

"...Instruments?" She repeated. "...What are you taking about?" The conversation took a sharp tangent.

"Just answer it," His tone wasn't indicative of any rudeness.

(Y/n) reluctantly agreed. "No. My mother wouldn't let me get near any unless it was a piano."

"That's stupid," He laughed.

(Y/n) stayed quiet with a "I know" expression to her face.

"Songs are made for everyone," He said. "Tunes we can go back to and remember the feel so we don't forget as time goes by."

(Y/n) raised a brow. "Well, what do you mean by that?" She asked.

Venti chuckled. "I'm saying songs are where we attach our memories and emotions," He explained. "We go back to them so we won't forget to remember what those feel like again. For better or for worse."

Her mouth was slightly agape. "...I get it now, She said.

Venti glanced up into her eyes. "Hey, why don't I teach you a few?"

"A few songs?" She repeated.

The bard gently placed the lyre in her grasp. "Yeah, why not?" His smile grew wider. "Just watch."

His hands moved to hold the lyre that formed in his lap. It was light, from what she could tell. His fingers moved with ease against the strings, pulling each one rhythmically.

"By the way, are you close to Aether?" He asked.

(Y/n) gave him a funny look. "What's with all the odd questions?" She raised a brow.

Venti averted his gaze. "Well, since you are my disciple, wouldn't it be courtesy for us to get to know one another better?"

"I suppose you have the slightest point," She gave him the benefit of the doubt. "And to answer your question, I'd say we're good friends at the moment."

The bard nodded along to let her know he was listening. "Aether's usually on the road between the two neighboring nations," He explained. "You don't miss him?"

The young woman stayed silent for a brief moment.

"...He told me no matter where he goes, I'll never be alone," (Y/n) said. Then, she smiled. "And I believe him." She then turned to look at him. "I mean, look at me now. I'm with you, aren't I?"

He nodded his head in agreement. "That's true!"

(Y/n)'s gaze lingered over his hands.

"Hey," She called for his attention.

A few notes escaped the strings his fingertips pulled. "...Hm?" He hummed his response.

"I just wanted to let you know I'll be gone from home more often now," She said. "I got the chance to work with the knights. So I took it."

"That's great," His lips curved into a genuine smile. "Taking matters into your own hands. That's something to be proud of."

His fingers then returned to strumming the instrument. The two stayed silent for a bit, giving (Y/n) a moment to ponder back to what Dansleif had said.

Should she confront him about it? She thought as her hand rubbed the area where the strange mark was out of comfort.

But what if it wasn't because of him? There was only one way to find out.

"Venti," (Y/n) called for his attention one more time.

He lowered the lyre in hand. "Yes, my dear (Y/n)?"

The woman then raised her arm, her palm facing away from her. She used her other hand to point to the mark just below her wrist.

"What's this?"

TWENTY SEVEN