Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Going into the forest might not have been my smartest plan considering I forgot to bring a flashlight, but the full moon gave off just enough light so that I wouldn't trip over anything. It felt like I had been looking for over a hour now though, and there were still no sign of Scott or Stiles anywhere, just trees for miles.

Ever since I came to this town I've had the feeling I'm being watched and right now, walking through the reserve, I didn't feel any different. As I walk I can hear a low growl sound from somewhere deep in the wood's vegetation. At first the animal's cry is so low I could easily mistaken it for my stomach rumbling, but in a matter of seconds the noise quickly grows loud enough to shake me to my core. The sound carries in the wind, almost as if the animal was right behind me, but when I turn towards the howl I'm met with only the sight of more trees. I'm starting to think I should have just listened to Stiles and stayed in the car, but in the back of my mind I know it's to late to run now.

The growl comes again this time from right beside me. I cautiously turn around and before me is a creature two times larger than any wolf I've ever seen with glowing red eyes and razor sharp fangs dripping with blood. One look at the beast standing before me and I know this is no ordinary wolf.

Then the wolf does something I thought wasn't possible, it stands up on its two hind legs. Almost human like and lets out a eerie howl that sends chills up my spine. Common sense told me there's no use in running, because this thing could easily catch me. But I have no other choice. It's either run like a wise coward or stay here and fight. Something tells me that the second option wouldn't end any better for me.

Almost as if the thing can read my mind it leaps at me in one large bound, but I'm already one step ahead, taking off through the forest faster then I have ever ran before. I'm still no match for its speed and strength. Eventually the animal catches up to me and grabs ahold of my leg, throwing me to the ground in one solid movement. Digging its claws into my ankle I let out a high pitched scream as I tear my foot away in pain. The animal quickly latches back onto both my legs as it starts pulling me along the ground. I'm pretty sure a wolf can't pull someone let alone grab them, and that's when I know I'm in trouble. I was right before, this is not just a wolf, it's something much worse.

I grab onto a tree root sticking out from the ground and try to hold on as the creature continues to claw at my ankles, trying desperately to drag me deeper into the forest. As one of my feet come free from his grasp I take the opportunity and make contact with its head, sending the creature flying backwards in surprise. I get up and try to run but its obvious the animal has caused much more damage to my ankles then I first thought and I crumple to the ground in pain. Unable to get up or move I listen to its heavy breathing as it gets closer, towering over me.

Seconds pass but nothing happens, the creature makes no attempt to kill me. It continues to stare down at me with its blood red eyes, watching, waiting. It peels back its lips to reveal rows of razor sharp fangs. This is it, I think. I'm going to die at the hands of this monster. Not wanting to take my last few breaths starting down into its blood thirsty eyes, I squeeze my eyes shut and await death. I feel its hot breath on my face as it rears back its jaw and I try not to shake in fear for its satisfaction, but my attempts to stay calm are useless. Suddenly I feel a sharp pain in my side. I try to let out a scream but I'm in to much pain to make a sound. The pain isn't like anything I've ever felt before. Every single one of its fangs felt like a knife piercing into my side, but even through the wave of nausea and pain I am surprised to find I'm not dead. I slowly peel open my eyes to find the wolf is gone, with no traces of it ever being there in the first place. So instead I focus on trying to find the wound on my side, even though I already know that I'm loosing to much blood to fast. I know it is useless to go look for help but I still try anyway. I manage to get up on my feet before I become to light headed and unable to bear the dizziness that overcame me anymore, I fall to the ground with a thump. Soon the pain fades along with my worries, as everything goes black.