ᴛʀᴀᴠᴇʟᴇʀ'ꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, her eyes went wide. "(Y/n)?!" The white-haired girl exclaimed out loud. She then turned to Aether. "That same (Y/n) from Mondstadt?!"

"...Mondstadt?" Chongyun repeated out of disbelief, as if trying to weigh the possibilities she was actually there.

"Yeah!" Paimon nodded her head. "We recently met a (Y/n) there too!"

"So then..." Chongyun looked at the traveler with pleading eyes.

"I guarantee you she's safe," Aether placed his hand against his heart. "You have my word."

The exorcist allowed himself to smile for once. And upon his fingertips touching the whiteish-blue tassel from his belt, an idea formed in his head.

Unclipping it from his waist, he held it for the blond to take, asking him. "Will you assist me in allowing her hold onto it for me?" He asked sincerely.

Paimon gasped, the sentiment touching her in a way that nearly made her heart burst.

Aether managed a subtle smile. "I'd be more than happy to." His fingertips then reached out for it, but not before Xingqiu's hand dropped his amber-colored one next to Chongyun's.

"We'll anticipate the day she returns them to us herself," The dark-haired boy's lips curved. "Until then, they'll have to substitute in our absence."

"I'll deliver them safely to her," Aether held them in his grasp, his words enough to reassure the two friends.

"Paimon thinks we can enter through one of the windows..." The white-haired girl rested her hands against her hips, watching as the blond traveler tugged at the door but to no avail.

"There's no hurt in trying..." He furrowed his brows.

By the time they were carrying out their plans, nightfall had already begun its starry reign over the skies. The two made their way to the side of the house, their eyes scanning which glass pane would look easier to pass through.

"This one!" Paimon maneuvered towards the one she chose. "Look! It's already cracked ajar anyways!"

"Good-eye, Paimon," Aether genuinely praised her.

"Hmph!" She smiled proudly, allowing herself a moment of pride.

The blond traveler used his strength to push it open, allowing himself a moment to catch his breath when he succeeded.

"Do you think you could unlock the door from the inside...?" Aether asked her.

"...What?!" Paimon raised a brow. "You want Paimon to crawl through the window?!"

"It's stable," He said as his fingertips tapped the frame. "I believe in you."

Paimon sighed, giving in to his words and crawling through the space with ease.

The traveler looked over his shoulder, making sure no one was around to catch sight of the two. He nimbly rushed towards to the front entrance again, his body sliding through the crack once the fairy pulled the entrance open.

Once inside, the two squinted their eyes, the dark corners of the house crawling with shadows and dust scattered through the surface of furniture.

"Wow," Paimon expressed in disgust. "It really looks like someone hasn't been here in a while!"

"Let's not get distracted," Aether reminded her of the task at hand.

"You're right..." The girl turned her attention to the trinkets and things lying around.

The two split up, maneuvering through the halls and peaking in the rooms to find belongings that looked as though they mattered most.

Paimon found herself in a beautifully decorated room. There were fan ornaments above a dresser, and beneath it what looked like a wooden box with detailed engravings etched on it. She took it in hand, opening it and discovering something she hadn't seen before.

"...Paimon!" Aether whispered her name rather harshly. "...We don't have time to stand around!"

"Look!" The girl smiled as she hovered over his shoulder. "What is this?" The box made metallic sounds as she lightly shook it.

"Don't go through her things..." He ushered her to put it back.

That was when the sudden sound of the front entrance slammed open, subtle footsteps making their way inside. The two stayed quiet, looking at each other before swiftly leaning against the wall. The steps drew closer, right up until their spotted a shadow within the same candlelight they held.

It stopped momentarily in front of the room they were in, continuing to make its way down the hall.

Paimon and Aether let out a sigh of relief, but not before a hand pressed itself against the space above them.

Startled, the two peered up at the figure, their eyes widening in disbelief.

"...Zhongli?!" The two said in unison.

"...You two?" The former archon blinked his eyes in confusion. "What is the meaning of this?"

Before the two could explain themselves, he had already caught sight of the belongings in their grasp, the trinket in the fairy's hand and a sack in the traveler's.

He remained expressionless, his eyes darting back towards their faces.

"It's not what you think-" Aether tried to explain.

Zhongli put up a hand in protest, his composure as relaxed as ever. And with his eyes at rest, he asked. "Did she send you here?"

"Yes..." Aether subtly nodded. "(Y/n) did."

The man's hand traveled to his chest upon hearing her name, softly clutching at his clothes.

"So then... she is safe?" He asked once more in a barely noticeable, but shaky breath.

"She is," Aether reassured him. "But, she's not coming back anytime soon. The odds aren't in her favor..."

"I see..." The former archon responded. "Then, can you at least give her this?" Zhongli slid his hand into his suit, pulling out a vanilla envelope embroidered with an elegant, scarlet seal.

A letter that'd see the (h/c) haired girl on another night, he hoped, for the guilt he could not express to her face to face ate at him away when he pondered too much about the hour he disgracefully allowed something like this to happen. 

"Of course," Aether took it from his gentle hands.

"Before I forget," The man began. "Next time you seek to enter people's homes, you might want to cover up your evidence," Zhongli gracefully motioned over to the opened window. "The millelith were alerted, and I just so happened to volunteer to investigate."

"It was only a one-time thing..." Paimon shuffled her feet against each other, her hands behind her back. "We promise!"

Zhongli shook his head with a small smile, saying. "Shouldn't you be on your way now? I'm hoping that letter reaches (Y/n) by dawn."

"Well, we got what she asked for," Aether turned towards Paimon. "Let's go."

Zhongli waved the two goodbye. And upon their leave, he peered through the glass pane in front of him, the stars seemingly a little brighter tonight than they were yesterday.

FOURTEEN