Robert Shwartzman | 21

first vacation

Sitting in the plane next to Robert, you thought about the last year. It was a year to forget to be honest. Covid-19, that left Robert without his father, your failed study graduation, Robert's frustration as he could have gained more points in this first F2 season if he wouldn't have crashed several times, your parent's divore... You just shook your head. Hopefully 2021 would be better. It had been hard for everyone, especially your boyfriend Robert. You knew that he wasn't the person that used to talk about his feelings but you knew that he was struggling a lot and still does.

After the end of the F2 season, you decided to fly to your home country together with Robert to spend the holidays there. He agreed and booked the tickets. You were not sure if he really liked the idea or if he just agreed because he wanted to make you happy. Thinking about the moment he agreed to go on holidays with you and spending the new year's beginning with your parents, you could see sadness in his eyes. He had to think about his father for sure as he used to be with him... Oh God how stupid had you been to suggest this. It must be worse to see you together with your parents, knowing he'll never be able to be with his father again. The plane arrived in Norway, the country you were born.

'Hey Robert, wake up. We're landing soon' you whispered into your sleeping boyfriend's ear. 'He opened his eyes slowly and looked at you. Oh no did I sleep the whole flight?' You giggled and told him that he was sleeping like a little child for hours. A taxi driver was already waiting for you to drive you to your parent's house. Now you had a little bit of time left to talk with Robert about your thoughts you had in the plane. 'Er... Robert? I'm so sorry I had that idea. I didn't thing about how worse you must feel to meet my parents, especially my father while you know that you'll never see your father again...' He watched the landscape through the windows. He was thinking about what to answer... Then he finally turned his head towards you and you could see some tears in his eyes. 'You know' he said 'it's not your fault. Of course it isn't easy for me but I think I can handle this. I'm still struggling to understand why my dad had to die but it's slowly getting better. It's not your fault ok? I should talk to you more about how I feel. You always care for me but I just say "yeah I'm ok". I want to change and be more open towards you. And to be honest I'm a bit afraid that everything will remind me to the happy days together with my family. But if your parents are like you, there's nothing to worry about. ' You were absolutely touched by his kind words. You promised him to be always there for him and you were sure he will feel comfortable with your parents.

As you stood in front of the door, you felt the nervousness of Robert. You grabbed his hand and he looked at you thankfully. 'Ready?' you asked him and he agreed. You knocked on the door and your parents opened, telling you to enter the house. Your parents hugged you and your mum hugged Robert, too while your father and Robert were hand-shaking. Robert was pretty silent and shy at first but started to feel more comfortable soon. He started talking about his racing career, too and even a few sentences about his father. Your parents knew what has happened a few months ago, so they didn't ask too much about his family. Your were really thankful for that and you could see a big smile in Robert's face as you walked into your room late in the evening. He really enjoyed the day even if he had been afraid at first.

Requested by: _beyond_the_stars