CH 39 Forgive and Forget?

END OF FLASHBACK

Azrael's POV:

"And.. people made fun of her so much, they tore her clothes the next few days. I tried to stop them, but I guess they enjoy pain from others. They wanted to see the amazing and emotionless Coco crumble. Cornelius and her left together. I fucked up. I hurt Coco." I explained, realizing how heavy the weight of the story was.

The room was silent, absorbing my story.

Coco, who was listening, gapped in surprise. "Wait a minute, are you telling me... you did this for popularity? To gain Cornelius's favor? This was Cornelius's doing all along? So, you didn't mean what you said?" She whispered, looking skeptical yet somewhat hopeful.

"I-"

Not another word left my mouth before I was punched.

Hard.

It didn't take long to find out who it was either.

"You son of a bitch! Do you realize how much pain you caused my daughter?! The gods have you hurt her! She was in love with you, yet you threw it all away!" She spat, popping a vein on her forehead.

Coco who was taken aback from her mother's sudden punch jumped in front of me quick.

"Mother, please stop. Don't hurt him." She pleaded.

I was throughly surprised. Why would she protect me? Don't I deserve another punch or slap? I don't deserve her. I gave up what I could have had just to seem cool. It may not seem that deep, but using those who trust you and betraying them... it's horrible. What I did shouldn't be forgiven.

Yet I wanted forgiveness.

What kind of asshole was I?

Wiping the busted lip, I whispered lowly, "I'm sorry. There isn't much I can say. I know what I did was wrong. I gave up someone precious just for a little popularity. In the end, I lost everything. I thought I had the world, but once I lost Coco, I really did lose everything. I didn't realize what I had until I lost it."

Coco's mother stayed silent, staring deeply at me. Observing me. She wasn't sure if she could believe my words. Someone who was callus and had a calm demeanor suddenly became hostile towards me.

"My daughter... cried. She cried in her room for days and nights. I could hear her sniffle her cries into her pillow as she sobbed her heart out. As a parent, you do everything you can to protect your children. Even if they hate you. However, I can't forget the suffering she went through just to get over you. Now, here you are now. I didn't even realize you were the boy she cried over. Now, here we are." She muttered, clenching her fists.

Coco flattered a little. She was taken aback on her mother's actions. Not used to it at all, she can only tell her mother a simple few sentences. It wasn't just long ago they weren't getting along, but now she's starting to understand her mother just a bit more.

"Mother, I know you're mad. You have every right to be. But... Azrael, he's my mate."

"You rejected him. As you should. I was thinking you were some mad woman who doesn't appreciate the gift of mate. Now I realize, I was wrong. You did good by rejecting him." She seethed, her fangs showing.

I winced, hating the words of being a rejected mate.

Did she not realize the long term consequences of what happens to rejected mates?

I laughed bitterly, "I see... so this is where I stand."

Coco, who was still in front of me, shielding me, looked up to me in question. "What are you doing?"

"Leaving." I said, walking away from the love of my life and someone who hated my very being.

I should have expected...

I will never be forgiven.