CH 15: Competition

Azrael's POV:

"This is it, Azrael. Are you certain you're ready for this?" Coco asks, her sweet scent driving me and my wolf, Xenon, wild.

I nodded, swallowing a knot in my throat.

It was all about self-control. I could have forcibly taken her away from him and make her mine on the first sadly we met. But no, I didn't.

Instead, I pulled myself together and respected her wishes. I had come in and barged into her life, not knowing it was already fine without me. She had someone else she loved, someone that wasn't me, her mate. It hurt my pride, along with my heart.

How can someone not love their mate?

Perhaps I was never good enough for her.

That's why I plan on winning the werewolf combat competition. If I win, she'll be so proud of me that she'll take me back and forget that other boy.

Maybe by then, I'll be good enough for her. She's already too good for me. Coco is beautiful, intelligent, a great fighter, and don't even get me started on her personality. She holds herself so well together, despite what difficulties are thrown at her.

Coco's comebacks always make me smile, along with her sarcasm. Just being her, flaws or not, is what makes me happy. Love is about loving everything about that person, with flaws and all.

Despite Coco being insecure about her body, I love all of it.

I saw sometimes her admiring her body in the mirror when I walked by. There were times when I saw her make a disgusted face when she saw a little belly fat. Why should she be disgusted?

She was beautiful enough already.

Doesn't everyone have imperfections? I never understood why humans couldn't accept it, but I assumed it was society who made it that way. Woman had to be hairless, skinny, curvy, whatever the hell they said. Men had to be big, hairy, and 'manly'.

I never understood any of it.

People can be whoever and whatever the hell they want.

If men can walk out with no shirt on, why can't women? I heard wearing bras were a pain and it felt wonderful to be free from the piece of clothing.

If women can cry, why can't men? Society found it unmanly if men cried. What is being manly to someone? Is it all about looks? Why can't we judge by personality anymore?

If men can be big, why can't women be?

Society really is shit.

Luckily, the moon goddess had blessed me with a woman I'll love for the rest of my days. Whatever she has or is lack of, I will love and embrace all of it.

A loud snap of a finger drew me out of my thoughts. Coco was crossing her arms, rising an expected eyebrow at me. I tilted my head, huffing out, "I'll do my best."

She smiles at me, reaching a hand out but I pull back.

I was still hurt from seeing the kiss a few days ago.

She's mine, my mate.

Aren't I hers too? Hers to call to claim?

My heart contracted, throbbing in pain once more. I winced, holding my chest. Breathing for a few seconds, it went away. Xenon was whimpering in pain, one that lasted longer.

I clenched my fists in anger and sorrow.

I still acted cold and distant to her, it was my only mechanism to protect what remained left of my heart that shattered from seeing such a thing.

I feel that if I spoke to her too much, I would break down.

The image of them kissing was still vivid in my mind, so much that I can close my eyes and picture it. It hurt so much, why can't she love me?

Am I that impossible to love?

She said it was for what happened in the past, but it was so long ago.

I changed.

Then again... what I did should be taken a long time to be forgiven.

I should have never done what I did.

Now, I can only hope she'll forgive me before it comes. By then, maybe she'll approve of me becoming her mate and being with her.

All I have to do is win the match.

A/N: I'm wondering if I'm making up the days I haven't been uploading... lol
I don't know about you guys, but my heart seriously hurts for him.