CH 38 My fault

AZRAEL'S POV

'Xenon... I'm starting to regret this.' I said to him in my head.

'You just realized, human? It's a little too late for that, don't you think?' He growled.

Coco and I have went on multiple dates. Everyone could see that Coco was deeply infatuated with me. Despite the possibilities of us not being mates, it was filling a void where our mates could in the future.

'Something is off about her, human. I feel a strong connection when you say mate... especially around her.' Xenon said, frowning.

He was conflicted, as much as I was.

'It's probably nothing. We're just desperate for a mate.' I told him, reassuring him the best I could.

'Why are we bothering to like another female besides our mate in the future?' He said, itching his ear.

I thought about that for a good moment, pausing whatever I was doing. It was a good question, not going to lie.

Finally, I let out a bitter laugh. 'Well... who would want a mate like me? I'm kind of an asshole. I may as well enjoy what I can get, right? Especially what I'm doing to Coco right now. My mate would definitely reject me.'

These words were something I wished I had never joked about...

*
*
*

"So, hows everything, Azrael?" Cornelius said, smirking at me.

Damn... I did not like this man.

I put on my best act.

With a raised brow, I muttered, "Its going well I guess. The chick is smitten with me. Don't think she can get her hands off me now. We've been hanging a lot but she's clingy as hell. Didn't know girls were like cats. Annoying as shit. I don't know how much longer I can stand her. To be honest, no idea what I see in her since she's fucking ugly."

Adding on after I clicked my tongue,

"I can get so many other bitches. In fact, I already have one of them I'm speaking to."

Fuck, why'd I even say that?  They're not even true. Coco is no where near to what I just said. She's beautiful. Each word I said felt like a stab in the heart. I wasn't even seeing another girl. I just wanted to make a point.

'You went overboard this time human.' My wolf snarled.

I know, shut up. I'll deal with this later. Remember, it's an act. I don't mean what I say.

Cornelius let out a hearty laugh but stopped and became serious of a sudden.

"Oh wow, you really are one hell of a guy to be doing something like that to a girl like her. That's a dick move man. What's wrong with you? She deserves better. I can't believe you don't see how beautiful and intelligent she is."

Confused, I see Cornelius's eyes look behind me. Why is he saying something like that? Didnt he like what I was doing?

Suddenly, a sweet smell drifted through the hall and I recognized it instantly.

Coco..

I turned around, seeing her tearful face as she held her books. Her make up had been done. She was wearing casual clothing yet it fit her so well. She was breath-taking.

So her. So... wonderfully amazing.

But that wasn't the point.

Her mascara is running. Why?

Because of me.

My whole world froze. Heart thumping and the ground crumbling beneath me. The ringing in my ear felt too real and I had wished it was all a dream.

Did she hear everything I just said? Shit!

It felt like it was impossible for me to mutter a word to her but I knew I had to before it was too late.

"Coco, I swear it's not what it seems. I didn't mean anything I-"

Interrupting me, Coco slapped me right across the face, causing me to turn my head just slightly from the impact. If anything, I could only have some form of shock on my face. Coco isn't that violent, is she? Or did she slap me because I deserved it? But it's a misunderstanding. She'll understand.

Why the hell am I such a dumbass?

I cursed, "Fuck. Coco, listen. Please. It's not what it seems. Just listen to me."

By now, the whole school is watching. They're continuing their merry way but I could feel the number of eyes increasing within every minute. It's only a matter of time before the teachers come out of their classrooms to see what's wrong.

To stop what's happening. But nothing is happening, right? It's just a misunderstanding I told myself.

I could hear Xenon snarling and cursing at me for how stupid I was. How he regretted that I was his human and the 'I told you so'.

I ignored him, continuing what I wanted to say.

"I never meant anything I said. I only said it because I had to. Those are not my true feelings. I do truly like you. You're not ugly or clingy. You're perfect just the way you are. I'm not seeing anyone else. I swear. Trust me."

I held in a breath, knowing that my words were probably futile.

Coco, who had been silent, speaks as loud as she could. However, it came out more as a sob.

"Liar! H-How... could you? You are just the same as every other guy who has approached me. You son of a bitch! I hate you!!"

I could see her eyes fading in and out. Her wolf wanting to come out. I knew that if she truly wanted to, she'd shift and attack me then and there.

But she didn't.

All I could sense was the betrayal and hurt she felt. She felt embarrassed that something like this was happening it public. It was humiliating for her.

Moments passed and she sadly whispered loud enough for the people around us to hear.

"Was what you said the truth? Or a lie? I can't tell anymore. The fact that you were talking to Cornelius behind my back says enough. Who knows what else you've said when I wasn't paying attention." She sighed, sniffling. "Girls aren't toys. They're meant to be treasured. In return, we'll do two times more than what you give us. We'll love you endlessly and go out of our way for you. I don't... I don't understand why you would do this."

Her words pierced my heart.

It was over.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath in. She then opened her eyes slowly, staring me deep in the eyes. The warmth and happiness I once saw in them were now cold and full of hatred.

In her heart, she believes I see her as someone whose ugly and imperfect. Someone stupid and easy. She believes I've cheated on her.

But I haven't.

The price of popularity is never worth it.

"It's over, Azrael. We're done."

And with that, the world became black and white once more.