CH 14: Why?

Azrael's POV:

~The day of when Cornelius kissed Coco ~

Today was like any other training day.

Coco was hard on me, but at the same time, she was gentle. She throughly explained when I didn't understand a certain move, showing me also in the process.

At one point, when I was copying the moves she had just did, Coco came and moved my arm just a bit. I sucked in a breath, my heart racing. Xenon was urging me to kiss her, but I won't make that mistake again. The day I kissed her was like a dream, but I had done it without her permission.

It won't ever happen again until she is willing.

I tried to hide my red face, hoping she wouldn't see me like this.

She didn't.

Instead, she jumped back and smacked my arm up hard. Compared to my build and hers though, I could cover her body completely.

A small blush covered her face and I was trying my best to not laugh. Keeping a straight face, I continued training with her as she stood in the sidelines. Her face was still a bit red, but it meant we were going somewhere as mates at least.

I was overjoyed by the fact that Coco was shy to be close to me.

She was just too perfect for me.

I need to work harder to be worthy of her.

Or so I thought.

***

After training, Coco excused herself. She had to be getting snacks or some drinks for us, I assumed. I mean, we were working our asses off all day.

Training is difficult.

You have to be dedicated or you won't make any process. Just like losing weight. You can't just exercise, because that's like only 10% of how I'll work. Mainly, losing weight is more about how balanced your eating is. Some people just don't understand that though and try to take the easy way out.

Sucks that it's easier to eat than to lose weight.

Sighing, I wiped the sweat off my forehead and came out of my thoughts.

I waited for over 20 to more minutes, but Coco didn't come right back out. It concerned me, maybe she was having trouble in the kitchen?

An idea came into my mind.

Maybe me and her can get closer if I help her in the kitchen! I learned how to cook from my parents just to impress my mate, so then she'll be impressed and I'll have an advantage over that Cornelius boy!

Excitement took over my entire being as I dashed for the pack house, my thoughts overwhelmed by assisting Coco with something. As a mate, I have to do my best to be there and help her with anything. It's what mates are for.

As I reached the door, I smelled another presence but didn't think much of it. After all, there's a lot of wolves always swarming around the pack house.

Stepping into the kitchen, I voiced eagerly, "Coco, can we-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence: can we work together on the snacks and drinks?

Pausing, I finally concentrating on the scene in front of me. There was Cornelius, her boyfriend. He was embracing her closely with a slight devious smirk. Coco, my mate, who was a only few centimeters away from his lips.

My heart shattered, the ground beneath me fell and became nonexistent. The cheerful smile that I had come in with disappeared, a dark one replacing it instantly.

Xenon howled, growling and wanting to end the threat. That was supposed to be my position, because I'm her actual mate.

Coco separated away from him, her blush still evident. From seeing how she reacted, he had kissed her. That only broke more of my soul. Cornelius didn't even sense any tension and became talking as he wrapped an arm around Coco's shoulder.

"Hey there new kid. Could you please knock next time? I'm having a moment with my girlfriend... here." Cornelius said, emphasizing on that key word.

I clenched my fists, trying to not kill this boy right on the spot. Coco loves him and would hate me if I destroyed something she cared about.

I can't be selfish.

Forcing a smile, my cheerful expression came back as I replied with, "Sure thing man, sorry to interrupt your moment. Coco, I think we're done with training, right? See you tomorrow."

Before anyone could say anything else, I jogged upstairs and into my room.

Just as I stepped into the room, I finally let myself go. I let go of everything I've hid away, suppressed, and tried to smile away with a, 'I'm fine'.

All I felt was, pain, agony, and loneliness.

The pain from the rejection that still hurts till this day.

The agony from when she sticks so close to Cornelius and not me.

The loneliness from not waking up to see her wake up next to me every single day.

Just as I thought, I will never be good enough for her. The first drop of tears slid down my right cheek, then another. Until finally, it burst out like a waterfall.

I cried, sobbed for something, anything.

The darkness wrapped around me and my fragile heart that tried so desperately to hang on from falling into despair.

Why do I even try?