CHAPTER 1

"So then I was like, bitch please. You said I bought my ass, but you know what I bought it with? A gym membership."

The table erupted into laughter, some football players slamming their hands down from suppressing their laughter. I attempted to resist a smile, but failed miserably.

"Holy fuck, Desiraé!  How many more intense encounters are you going to have with the she-wolves in this school?" I asked, leaning onto my boyfriend's shoulder for some warmth.

He wrapped his arm around me, warming my shivering body from the cold.

She shrugs in a playful manner, "Who knows?"

I rolled my eyes.

'She always loves trouble,' I thought quietly.

My wolf, Mist, didn't reply. She was oddly quiet these past few days and it made me quite uneasy since she's a diva herself.

Pushing a strand of my blonde hair back, my group of girls gushed over the latest gossip in school. I didn't pay attention to most of their words, but a certain few sentences caught my attention.

"... new guy is coming tomorrow. I overheard the principal speaking to Mrs. Jonas about it. Heard he's pretty hot," Naomi, my other friend, whispered, fanning herself.

My wolf went into a frenzy, pacing lightly back and forth in my head. Her confusion very evident, affecting me in the process.

Lost in my thoughts, my boyfriend, Cornelius, tapped me lightly on the shoulder. I glanced at him, his features showing concern.

"What's wrong, Coco? You're making that face when you're concentrating very hard," he voiced.

I shrugged it off, dismissing the matter, "Nothing babe, just thinking that the new guy is probably some average looking male wolf."

Desiraé rolled her eyes, scoffing, "That's what you say about every male except your boyfriend."

A smirk forms on lips, "That's because Cornelius here is the hottest of them all."

The table erupts into laughter once more, agreeing to my words.

Soon, the bell rings and lunch ends.

It was a half day today and since we were seniors, our lunch period was at the very end of the day. Meaning, I get to go straight home after this.

Getting up from our seats, my friends wave goodbye to me and stick close to their boyfriends. I, on the other hand, linked arms with Cornelius and walk straight out the school building.

I grinned as we reached my car. Our arms untangled and I swiftly turned to his direction, pecking him a kiss lightly on the cheek. He smiled, returning the same action. Cornelius and I never went far with each other. We may have been dating since last year, but we didn't bother taking our relationship to a deeper level.

Something that some males in certain stories should learn how to do.

Fucking manwhores who don't wait for their mate.

'Yet you're dating someone other than our mate...' Mist growled.

'Whatever, Mist. Look, I know Cornelius has a temper and sometimes he does things we disagree with, but he said starting today, he will try his best to do better. And look what happened? He is being a lot more affectionate and isn't as pushy with stuff or controlling.'

'I have nothing to say more human. You must learn from your mistakes.' She replied before cutting the link.

Sheesh, she doesn't understand what it's like to be trapped.

Stepping back, I retrieve my keys from my pocket and step into my car. Cornelius steps aside, his hands hidden inside his pockets. He gives me a lazy but crooked smile, waving at me.

I waved back, putting my seatbelt on and starting the engine.

As I put the car in reverse and start to drive off, Cornelius's figure becomes one with the distance. His figure no longer seen.

I release a sigh that I've been holding in for the entire day as I drive towards the pack house. After several minutes, the force field opens and my car is welcomed into pack territory.

The force field is what hides us from human eyes. We can see it, but the humans can't.

It's what protects our race from ever tempering with the human world.

Parking my car, I step into the pack house. Chatter from every corner of the house started to increase in volume, irritating me slightly. I knew why it was unusually loud today and I wanted to do anything in my power to avoid it.

Just as my foot hits the bottom step, along with me trying my best to avoid the group meeting, a scent slips by me. My nostrils inhaling it deeply, recognizing it instantly.

Tilting my head up, I'm faced with none other than my mother.

The beta female of the pack, Freya Lee.