CHAPTER 2

"Mother... hello. What are you doing down here?" I asked, my mood worsening.

It had been days since I've last seen her.

She never comes to speak or interacts with me unless it involves the pack.

She narrows her eyes at me, her lips set in a firm line. "I'm here for the pack meeting. Something you should be attending to since you're going to be next in line for the beta position."

I rolled my eyes, ready to come up with an excuse when the Alpha and Luna stepped down behind my mother. It was Ouranos Reinhardt and Gaia Reinhardt. Their son, Kronos, just next to his mother's arms.

Kronos was in 6th grade, a middle schooler. He was still practically a child even though he was next in line for the title for alpha.

Alpha Reinhardt, who had his arms around his mate, released her and focused on the tension in the air. He could sense my mother's eyes swirling with black, along with my pulse racing from the quick showdown. He frowned, crossing his arms.

His mate, Luna Gaia, sat their son, Kronos, onto the steps. She swiftly covered his ears while watching head on as the scene unfolded before her. I rose an eyebrow at that, knowing fully that Alpha Reinhardt would use some cuss words to get his point across.

"Whatever is going on between you two needs to be put aside for now. I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself for it to get through your fucking heads because this is not the first time you guys went down like this. We all have a meeting to get to, so focus," he grumbled, eyes blown out to black.

Mom angled her neck slightly, obeying his order.

She sent me a sideways glance, silently demanding me to do the same. Reluctantly, I did so before stopping and stepping off the staircase with ease. My mother, Freya, followed in suit silently yet kept a safe distance away from me.

Alpha Ouranos rumbled in approval, pacing down the steps with his mate and son in hand.

They looked like the perfect family.

How I envied that day and night.

We let them walk in front of us to lead while we followed them quietly, sparing glares at one another. Our relationship wasn't always like this, but that's because we never had a 'proper' Mother and daughter relationship in the first place.

Sighing, my hands clenched tightly.

The prickles of white showed in my hand, the blood slighting piercing due to my claws poking at the tender flesh of skin. Inhaling a deep breath, my nerves calm down.

Eventually, Alpha Ouranos comes to a complete halt and the room falls still. The once loud chattering I came across to when I first entered the pack house became eerie silent, waiting for his orders.

Luna Gaia stands at his side, proud and tall.

Kronos on the other hand, peered curiously at the pack members. He was silent with a medical book in his hand, observing the state of the room. He wasn't like other kids. For example, instead of staying on their electronics all day and having fun, he throws himself into reading books.

That was something he found fun.

There were also instances where there were she-wolves the same age as him wanting his attention. Kronos had good looks, I'd admit. For a 13 year old, he was already developing into a phrase of having a charming aura.

Diverting my attention to the Alpha, he opens his mouth and booms in a loud voice, "I have news for you all. Tomorrow, we have an important guest that is coming to stay with us for a while. Please, treat him with respect and as a pack member. He has come here many times previously, so you all should be used to it by now." He said, looking at each and every pack members eye.

Continuing, he says, "An old friend of mine wishes for me to watch out for his son and I've taken up the offer. I have taken his son in because he is going out of town for many months for his jobs abroad. That is all, unless you have any questions?"

The room echos with the mutters and mumbles of the pack members.

I raised my hand and immediately, the whole room turned to me.

Timidly, I asked, "What is his name?"

Alpha Ouranos's eyes softened at my question, "His name is Azrael Ford."

Not a second after that, my body nearly doubled over in anger. I remembered him, clearly now. At first, I felt unsure about this stranger coming to stay for a while.

However, at the mention of his name, I knew it had to be him.

Mist, my wolf, shook at the sound of his name being told by our Alpha. Her tail rose, swishing lightly back and forth. Her canines flashing at me, tongue lashed out excitedly.

From her response, she seemed to be interested in him while I knew I wasn't going to like my encounter with Azrael.

I rethought it for a moment though, maybe he has changed.

I shouldn't assume that he would be the same person I met all those years ago. I have to meet him again and personally observe him.

Soon, the meeting wrapped up and everyone was sent back to their quarters. On the other hand, I was laying in bed, consumed in my non-stop thoughts of how tomorrow would turn out.

Let's hope it ends well.