CHAPTER 3

"Oh my gosh, it's confirmed?!" Desiraé squealed, her chocolate skin shining from the sunlight. Along with her curls bouncing slightly from the jumpy movements.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, a new kid. Apparently hot, no one cares."

She pouted but eyes sparked with mischief, "Is that so? Do you ever think he could be your mate? Aren't you 16 years old now?"

I snapped my head towards her, "No, never in a million years. I may be 16 years old, but I have Cornelius by my side already. I don't need some other male wolf who was paired up with me just because the Moon Goddess thinks we're perfect for one another."

Naomi nods in agreement, "Finally someone who understands! Why can't we choose our mates ourselves?"

"Because that's against our nature, Naomi." Cornelius cuts in, his arm sliding around my waist to hug me from behind.

I smile at his touch, leaning further into him.

She sighs, "You guys are the definition of couple goals right now. I envy it so much!"

We all fall into the laughter, until someone bumped into Sierra, a girl that is in our group. The person who bumped into her caused her to nearly trip on her heels.

"Watch it four-eyes! I know your eyes are fucking small and all since you're Asian, but look where you're going. Oh wait, of course you don't understand. Let me speak it for you, 'Ching, Chang, Chung'!" Sierra hissed, laughing midway.

The girl frowned, "Are you done? I sorta need to get to class on time and not have an excuse that I was late because of some girl is trying to make a scene because I bumped into her. I apologized, so you don't need to make a racist joke."

A couple of 'oooo's left peoples mouths, the sound of her getting roasted made a few laugh.

Sierra was furious. Her cheeks flushed red as a tomato, eyes narrowed dangerously low. "Whatever, just don't let it happen again," she huffed.

The girl shrugged, walking away towards her destination.

I cocked a brow, "You okay, Sierra?"

She turned towards me, cheeks puffed in frustration, "Of course. Why wouldn't I be? I'm just pissed because she won the argument."

Biting gently on the inner side of my cheek, the temptation to correct her for the racist insult was great. I didn't want to lose a friend though, so I stayed quiet.

Sierra started cursing under her breath, her native language, Italian, flowing smoothly out.

One of the few words I identified were, 'Putana'.

Naomi, who was Chinese herself growled loudly at Sierra.

"That is not how we fucking speak, just a FYI," she muttered, fists clenching into prickles of white. She looked upset, eyes swirling with black.

Sierra snapped her head towards Naomi, taking a tentative step towards her. "I didn't even say it to you, so it shouldn't hurt your feelings. Get over yourself, Naomi. You're always the one who gets offended by everything. Besides, what I said was true. You asians have such small eyes, it's ridiculous."

She then breathed in a breath, "By the way, I have no idea how you people see with such small eyes. It means so sense whatsoever, but that explains why you have glasses."

Naomi's face turned to a red color, her anger rolling off in waves.

"You are such a stuck-up bitch, Sierra! Everything is always about you and your ignorant ass! The world doesn't revolve around you, in fact, it's not about you! It never is!" Naomi shouted, losing her temper.

The situation started spiraling out of control.

Tension so thick in the air that you could almost choke on it.

Remove myself from Cornelius's hold, I stepped in-between them, my hands pressed against their chests. They were rising and falling quickly, hearts racing fast from the adrenaline.

In a calm voice, I spoke, "Stop it, the both of you. You're causing a scene, look."

They seized for a moment, eyes scanning their surroundings.

The two were so loud, they didn't even realize they were shouting at each other. Groups of students gathered around us, some eagerly recording while others seemed slightly frightened or curious.

I never understood why someone would record a fight.

Why can't they step in instead and attempt to stop it?

Pùssies.

Just when I thought the situation couldn't get any worse, a scented smell reached my nostrials. I inhaled deeply, my gaze becoming dazed to wonderland.

It smelled like the cold breeze of winter or fall. Something difficult to describe, but nevertheless... it smelled good.

This could only mean one thing and one thing only.

We all were taught about it ever since we were just little pups. I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Why now?

Oblivious to the situation around me and to the howls of Mist in my head, my eyes fall to the front of the lobby. There, a tall and lean boy stood. His brown hair in a messy style that only made she-wolves turn in interest with trailing eyes.

As I stared right back at him, he gave me his unwavering attention with his grey eyes. My mouth automatically formed the words, as the whisper of, "Mate" left my plump lips.

The only thing was... I wasn't pleased.

I knew who he was.

It was Azrael Ford, the one who ruined everything.