CH 9: The aftermath

The bed dipped and I could see his shadow facing me, his hand caressing my cheek. My eyes started to close, the drowsiness consuming me.

I could hear his whispers that were laced with concern, "Why did you drink so much, Coco? You should know or not if you can't handle that much alcohol. You're not even yourself when you're drunk. You don't even remember that you hate me at the mome-"

Cutting him off, I could only mutter, "What's your name?"

Silence answered my question and just when I was about to give up, he answered.

"My name is Azrael..."

I smiled, worn out. "Azrael... I like that name. No, I love it. It suits you." I slurred.

He smiled in the darkness, facing me. The door was now closed and locked, his arm around my waist as we laid next together in the blanket.

He spoke again, softer this time. "Since this is my chance of you not remembering anything... I tucked you into my bed because I wanted to be closer to you."

I nod, still dazed.

We were quiet for sometime and I think he thought I was asleep because the next thing I knew, I heard some sniffles next to me. Some wet tears fell on my arm that was against his chest.

Was he crying?

Tightly closing my eyes, I felt his hand lifting away from my waist and landing on my cheek, caressing it as if I was a fragile doll.

A small sob escaped from him, "Why...? Why did things have to be so wrong? What can I do to fix this? How can I prove myself to you...? Am I even worthy of you?"

I didn't know what to say.

My mind was so muddled, I didn't understand why he was crying and why he was referring to that I hated him. I could never hate him, he's my mate!

The hand that was on my cheek soon left me and his hand returned back to my waist, pulling me closer. His body seemed to be shaking, his voice hoarse.

He was holding me so tightly, almost as if he were afraid to lose me.

"I'm so sorry... for what I did to you back then, Coco. Please forgive me..."

Forgive him? For what?

I don't understand.

My body automatically buzzed with life when I suddenly felt soft lips on my cheek. I could have swore my cheeks blushed, but I was too tired to care.

His last whisper of, "Sleep tight, beautiful." was the last thing I heard before the darkness finally pulled me under.

***

"Fuck... my head..." I groaned, rolling around in bed.

With my eyes still closed, I stretched my arms out for my hug pillow only to come in contact with skin. Hard skin that was built with muscle.

My eyes popped open, mouth gaped.

Why the hell was Azrael on my bed?!

Scanning my surroundings, I realized my mistake. This wasn't my bed nor my bedroom, this was his bedroom. I was sleeping next to him and he's half naked.

Did I have sex with him?!

I don't feel sore though.

Pushing my body up, I was hit with a throbbing headache. I came to the conclusion that he most likely brought me up here because I was drunk as hell or something.

Recollecting my thoughts, I barely remember the events of last night. Was it a dream or was it reality? I couldn't tell.

Azrael must have heard my groan of pain because he immediately opened his eyes and sat up, looking for the intruder. His hair was in a fluffy mess and it made me want to pat it. The thing was... his eyes were red-rimmed.

Maybe it wasn't a dream after all...

Clearing my throat, I caught his attention.

"Coco... you're awake. You were drunk last night, so I carried you in my bedroom since it's closer than your bedroom is." He spoke lowly, turning away.

Last thing I heard, he just wanted to be closer to me, according to the events of last night. Pretty sure I'm certain now that whatever happened wasn't a dream.

I shrugged, "Yeah... thank you."

Azrael nods meekly, his head still turned away. Not understanding why he wasn't facing me, I asked him in a cautious manner, "Hey... why are you not looking at me?"

He becomes silent and breathes out, "I have morning breath and I sorta don't want to kill you with it. If I were to kill you, it would be me killing your vag-"

I jump straight out of the bed, whispering loudly, "OKAY! Thank you for the kind gesture, but I must be going now."

As I pace myself to the door, Azrael's refusal of protest stops me.

"Wait! Coco. Answer me this..." he paused, his fists clenched. "Do I have a chance with you?"

I didn't bother turning around, my tone like a robots. "No, none at all. I rejected you for a reason."

With that, I walked out and shut the door, continuing on with my weekend.