CH 34 Explain

"... Mom, it's not what you think." I said, taking a timid step forward.

Sweat started forming on my forehead as I played with my fingers nervously. Trying to calm myself down and my wolf, Mist... I knew things were going to escalate fast if I didn't come up with an excuse.

"You're mates, aren't you?" She said, cocking a brow.

We froze.

Oh shit.

Before things went any further, Azrael beat me to it by blurting out, "Yes."

I wanted to die then and there. Growling, I smacked him on the back of the head in anger. "Why the fuck would you say that, Azrael!?"

Azrael's eyes turned black as it struggled to go back to his original eye color. He fought against his wolf, replying to me with a soft tone. "Because... We can't keep going like this. Someone has to know."

"And out of all people, you let my mother know?!" I hissed, my anger showing.

"Is there something wrong with me knowing?" Her voice sounded, causing both of our heads to snap towards her. We completely forgot she was there, so absorbed in our disagreement.

"... Yes, there is... besides, why would you assume we're mates to begin with? We could have been just fuck buddies." I muttered, my anger still there but not as much as before.

She smiled knowingly, "It's quite obvious once you're at my age."

I held in my breath, not sure what to do with the situation.

"... So, what now? Are you going to tell the whole pack? Disown me?" I mumbled.

My mother shook her head, surprising me with her body language. "No, I just want to know why you're hiding it. You should be pleased you found your mate. Others were unfortunate and had their mates die before they ever got the chance to meet them or had their mates impregnate or even mate with another wolf." She said, crossing her arms.

Azrael glanced at me, his eyes sad.

"It's a long story..." he whispered, his broad shoulders sagged, sadness rolling off him in waves.

My mother tilted her head, "Tell me."

I sighed, giving in. But before I would tell her, I urged all of us to go to my room to talk about the matter. We all walked upstairs and into my room quickly, forgetting about the dinner momentarily.

As I closed my door, I turned around to the both of them and softly spoke. "I rejected Azrael as my mate."

Her eyes soon turned black in anger, "And why would you ever do such a thing?" She seethed, trying to stay calm.

My wolf paced around, tail rugged between her legs. I swallowed in nervousness, hating to be put on the spot. "I'm dating Cornelius... we're happy together and Azrael comes along and ruins everything. Besides, don't you know why he did back then?" I said, trying to reason with her.

"Of course I wouldn't know what he did back then! Why don't you explain?" She asked, frustrated.

I frowned, "That's because you weren't interested to be involved in my life to begin with. Why are you so eager now?!"

She froze at my comment, looking at the side. "And I apologize for that. I'm trying to make amends now."

"And if it's too late? What then, mother?" I said, gritting my teeth.

"Then I'll keep trying. But this isn't about you and me now. It's about you and Azrael." She said, pointing at how awkward Azrael looked as he oversaw our argument.

I blinked, calming down. "Fine. Why don't you tell her what you did to me back then, Azrael. Tell her why I can't forgive you and how you wronged me." I said to him as I glared.

Azrael looked down in shame, "I... I know what I did was wrong, Coco. But it's in the past. I've changed. Why can't you put this behind you? I've tried numerous ways to show you that I love you and that I'm willing to wait for many years as you want. Just as long as you are willing to forgive and accept me."

I thought long and hard about what he said, but he wasn't the one on the floor crying. He wasn't the one who was made fun of or humiliated. He wasn't the one who suffered.

"I can't. It still pains me until this day for what you did. You betrayed me." I whispered, tears threatening to spill.

He sighed, closing his eyes.

Azrael turned to my mother, meeting her gaze. "You want to know why Coco won't accept me as her mate?"

My mom nodded.

"The reason Coco came home that night with her clothes teared up was because of me."

Authors Note:
DUN DUN DUN!!!

I'm back guys!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you so much for your patience! I love you all!!

P.S What do you guys think Azrael did to Coco? Comment below!