CHAPTER 50

Coco's POV:

It had been a month since Azrael fell into a coma. We thought he would wake up after the bond being repaired, but he didn't.

Theo explained to me that because of how long Azrael and his wolf endured the pain of the rejection, it lengthened the process for him to heal.

I couldn't imagine the trauma he had to go through just to wait for me. Every day, my patience grew thin on believing if he would wake up.

The guilt continued to eat me alive. Most days, I would stay by his side and read him stories. Other days, I'll go on for hours about questions I have for him or tell him how my day was.

Sometimes... I'd break down crying as I held his hand.

I would beg for him to wake up and would ask for his forgiveness.

Another month started to approach and when I was on my way to see Azrael, I bumped into my mom. She seemed shocked to see my condition.

"You look terrible, Coco. When was the last time you slept?"

"I don't remember... but why are you here? Don't you have your duties to attend to?"

"Well, Azrael is my son-in-law. I just wanted to check up on him, but I didn't expect to see you here like this. You look thinner. How you been eating?"

"I can't..." I mumbled, tears starting to prick the corners of my eyes.

My mother quickly led me inside of Azrael's room and sat me down on the chair. She sat next to me, looking worried.

"Tell me everything you can't shoulder."

And just like that, I burst into tears.

"He's never going to wake up, mom! I'm scared. It's all my fault and I shouldn't have rejected him. Why didn't I just give him a chance?! God, I hate myself. I'm so stupid." I sobbed out, crying against my mom's shoulder.

She awkwardly hugged me, but soon embraced me tightly once she got comfortable.

"Sweetie... You didn't know. It's okay."

"No mom, I didn't think to check. I should have checked and asked him. But because I was so self-absorbed in my own problems, I didn't realize he was suffering in silence!" I replied, disagreeing with her.

My mom continued to pat my head as I cried my heart  out.

"W-Why didn't he just tell me that he didn't accept the rejection..." I whimpered, another tear rolling down my face.

Sorrow filled my entire being. My heart felt like it was being ripped into two.

"I can't eat. I can't sleep. I can't function without him. Every time I close my eyes, I see his face. I hear his laugh. And I feel his touch. It hurts so much to not have him with me."

Giving me a tight squeeze, my mother lets me go and tucks my strand of hair behind my ears. She tilted my head up so I could meet her eyes.

"We all make mistakes. Some mistakes are worse than others but what matters is if we learn from it. There's no point in dreading over something that has already happened. We can't change the past. Focus on the present."

I nodded at her words as she continued.

"Maybe he wanted to wait for you to feel the same way he did? He didn't want to pressure you possibly. After the dinner, I realized that this man truly does love you. I saw the way he looked at you. You're his world, Coco. Sure, I'm still hesitant to trust him... but I know his intentions were good. I'm sure he didn't do this just to hurt you. You can ask him when he wakes up."

"That man loves you to the moon and back. If it's Azrael, I'm sure he's doing his best to make his way back to you. Just give it time. He has waited so long for you, so wait for him in return."

My mother was right... and for once, I really liked her advice. It made me happy that she was here for me. I hugged her once more, taking a deep breath in and out.

"Thanks mom, you're the best." I said, feeling the energy return to me slowly.

***

Another three weeks passed and I had gained back the weight I lost. I started to take care of myself more and kept myself distracted.

It was difficult to say the least since it's nearing another month, but I tried to stay optimistic.

The guilt was still there, but I didn't try to punish myself anymore from it. I needed to learn from my mistakes.

And I swore to myself that I'd treat him better than anyone else has treated him when he wakes up.

Something I should have done in the very beginning.

Times like this, I really wish I wasn't being so hypocritical and childish back then.

After I finished getting ready, I made my way to the hospital Azrael was staying in. A sigh left me, knowing that he would still be on that bed.

His face would be pale and his breathing would be slow.

But it's okay, I'll wait for him no matter how long it takes.

As I walked in with some books to read to him and a stronger resolve, I froze at the sight in front of me.

There was no way.

Maybe I was seeing things. And if I was, I really hope I never wake up from this dream.

"Azrael...?"

My mate was sitting up, drinking some water. His beautiful eyes soon laid on me. A smile made it's way to his face.

Azrael was finally awake.