Chapter 14

As I was writing notes in my room, I heard Chris shouting my name. Finishing the sentence I was writing in a hurry, I carelessly put the pen on the book and ran to his room.

Both doors of the wardrobe are wide opened. Chris looked away from the bottom of the wardrobe. Looks like he's going to take a bath.
As I hurriedly approached him by asking "What happened?"

" Where's my Puma T-shirt" he slowly glanced at the wardrobe.
My hair was untied when I ran in a hurry. I went to the wardrobe while tying it.

I glanced at both rows first, then at the row on the left side. When I changed the top two dresses I found the t-shirt that Chris was looking for.

Slowly pull the T-shirt off with the right hand, holding the top dresses with the left hand without falling off.
"I forgot to sort it after washing. Unknowingly moved it to this row." I handed him the T-shirt.

"Okay, turn off the stove after two whistles" he told me as he took the towel from the chair and went to bathroom.

"Okay" I went back to the room and started writing down the notes I had stopped.

I wrote three sentences and the first whistle came from the kitchen. I became alert. Then  quickly completed the paragraph I was writing and closed the book.

Went to the kitchen and waited in front of the cooker for the last whistle to come.

The whistle came and I heard Chris's phone ring in the room. My attention went to his ringtone. I stumbled over the confusion of which one to take first. Quickly turn off the stove and put the cooker down.

I went to the room and picked up the phone and it stopped ringing. At that moment, the screen showed Missed Call from Father.

It's been a long time since anyone other than Customer Care called to this phone. I put the phone back on the table.

Went to the kitchen and continued the work he had stopped. A few minutes later I heard Chris opening the door.

I went to the room and picked up the phone that had been left on the table and told him, "Your father called. I came to attend and the call was cut."

He stopped combing his hair by his fingers in front of the mirror and asked me, "Father?"

"Yep" picked up the phone and held it out to him.
"I think they are missing you now," I added.

Chris slowly took the phone from me blankly.
I went back to the kitchen, leaving him his own time.

CHRIS'S   POV :

A month ago....

At the airport

I told Donaldson I was going to make a call. I went to the escalator.
There is no one there. I have to tell father that  I reached here.

First heard the ringing for a while. Then I heard his voice from the other side.
"Chris" I felt sad when I heard his voice.

"I'm here". Waited for his reply.

"Good thing, it's a little difficult to be in a new place."

"I can manage"

He laughed out loud as usual and said, "I know you will manage."

I understood what he meant.

"You adjusted a lot, Chris. There's no adjustment anymore. You go and live as you like. There's no one to stop you anymore. I won't come either."

I let him say whatever he wish to convey.

"Now you've to work hard to make your dream come true."

I don't know what to say in return.

" Forget the past and move on."

"Thank you for everything. I will make you proud"
That's all what I can say.

"Live happily wherever you are." His final words.

I cut the call without saying anything back.

   PRESENT......

I dialed that number. But no one picked up the phone.

Tried again, someone picked up the phone in the last ring.

"Hello" I said quickly.

"Hello Chris, how are you?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. What about you?"

"I'm fine."
When he replied, I checked to see if Rishma was nearby.

"Why did you call?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"To let you know I'm in Manhattan"

"Manhattan?" I asked in disbelief.

" Yes"

"What else?" I asked in a hurry to stop talking.

"Nothing Else."

"Okay then I'll call you later"

I cut the call before he asking anything again.

Rishma called me to the kitchen. She stands looking at the curtain near the oven when I go to the kitchen.

I leaned closer and grabbed her shoulder.
Without a moment's hesitation, she pointed to the curtain.

A special kind of fear rippled inside me. Slowly I moved the curtain.
I my finger touched on a cold object and reflexively pulled my hand back.
The whole curtain was moved to the side.

Like her, I was stunned.

A dark brown plywood door.
My hand was touched on its key.

Silently we both stared at the door.

"So, this is your first invention" I asked her blankly but in a teasing way.

"Where did this come from?"

"I think it was here from the beginning. We didn't cared"

We looked at the door for a few seconds.

Then we said in unison,
"Sooo...... we found the dining roooooom.... !"

                     ****************

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter
Sorry for this short chapter.
Through all your comments and messages I confirmed that all my readers are loving Chris. 
A/n : next chapter onwards the main events of this story gonna begin.
Be alert... I will update the next three chapters soon. ( May be in this week)

Vote ⭐  Comment 📜  Share ➡