Chapter 70

🪔 Happy Diwali 🪔

▪︎  ▪︎  ▪︎  ▪︎

Rishma's POV :

Rishma's POV :

"I'm not a toy. I can't live with someone I don't know. I have every right to deny it." Arnav mimicked my words in a girlish tone and exaggerated expression. "Who just sewed your mouth shut?" He asked in his own voice.

"Stop it, it's not funny, it's irritating." I tried to sound tough, but my laugh for his bad acting skill ruined it.

I was checking some important files in my office and the moment Arnav knew I had said yes to Manu's proposal he called me.

I looked at the small frame of the phone. He is  looking at me in disbelief with parted lips.

"What made you change your mind? Is that the  slap?" He rested his hand on the desk and supported his chin with hand.

"I decided to say no, and that's when amma came to me with some flashbacks..." I paused for a moment and put my signature on the paper I was reading. I closed the file and put it away. "I don't want my father bowing his head in front of people again."

"Oh Ponnu... you live in 2020s not 1920s. Even women fought for their freedom back then. You took a stupid decision. Your grandmother may  used the same flashback weapon on your mother and now your mother used it on you. She emotionally blackmailed you. Don't you understand that?"

"I don't think so. Look, some things we can't fight against, especially family. I'm fine. Now I have a job, I'm financially independent, I've got everything I've ever wanted, what more could I want?"

"Happiness. You live a machine life. You get out of bed in the morning, go to the office, write on stacks of paper, go back home, sleep. Repeating this will not bring you happiness. After marriage you have to take care of a whole family. You're only 21, how come…”

"Etta enough. Stop treating me like a child. I've done a lot in the last four years." I raised my voice and moved towards the phone.

"Little Rishma is not little anymore. What did you do?" he asked quietly but suspiciously.

Did I blabbared?

Not yet.

"I mean, I went to study abroad and learned a lot about living alone and doing things alone." I quickly concluded.

"Oh really. Now you think you can stop a storm if you do all this in your life?" He leaned back with folded hands.

"What do you expect me to do?" I dropped my pen on the table and asked to know what he was trying to say.

"Don't you think your marriage is a little early?"

"There is no such thing as a perfect time to get married."