Chapter 43

I read a book once

I read a book once. It takes a volcano, on average, seventy-thousand, five hundred and sixty seconds to erupt. It had taken me, sixty-three thousand. So I would like to think the book I read was correct.

Speaking of books...

"Can you tell me where the selfhelpsepsionis." I mutter under my breath to the librarian standing in front of me. She looks at me with a puzzled look on her face, "I'm sorry ma'am, could you repeat that?" She asks. I huff and avert my eyes to the corner.

"Wherestheselphelfsehiom." I whisper quickly scratching the back of my head. The librarian tilts her head at me "Uhm. I'm sorry-"

"Justtellmewhere...the self...help...section...is." I quickly say at the speed of light as she reacts with a widening of her eyes. I cough and look to the side.

"It's uh, down there to your right." She responds cautiously. I quickly turn to my right and walk quickly down the aisle. Great. Now she thinks I'm weird. I sigh and drag my hand over my forehead. The things a person does when they get desperate.

My eyes quickly scan over the books, it shouldn't be too hard to find the book I need. My eyebrows raise in curiosity when I find a book that just might be what I need. "How to Apologize Effectively." I murmur as I analyze the book.

"This book was amazing help for my partner and I~" A review on the back quotes. "The author describes the fundamentals and art of saying "sorry" and it's beautiful." Another one says.

My eyes squint in disgust Beautiful? How can these things be beautiful. I quickly look over to the cashier at the desk, the policy says we can't read too much of the book without buying it but If can just flip through all the pages and remember them all...

My eyes scan the beginnings of each page, and they're all just prologues and authors notes! Where is the actual 'helping' part. I finally get to the pages I need. "Number one: Acknowledge what you've done wr-"

My mind jolts to a halt when I feel a couple taps on my shoulder. I sigh knowing what's about to happen. I turn around slowly making eye contact with one of the librarians. "..yes?" I ask in a whisper tone. "Are you going to buy that book?" She asks with a clearly forged closed eyed smile.

...................

I walk out of the library holding the book in a small paper bag.

I let out a long breath in frustration, everything seems to be going wrong these days. My main objective is to get out of anyone's eyesight, I wouldn't want to get caught holding such drivel.

Unlike yesterday, the warm sun shines upon my skin giving it a small glow, but even the sun, in this circumstance, cannot make me look any better. To put it lightly, my looks reflect what I've been through lately. Another reason I find myself grateful for this mask.