Chapter 15

I avert my eyes, not having the advantage of hair to hide my features, but a mask will do.

"You did fine." I interrupt. 

"Well, we-"

Sighing I raise my gloved finger, holding it to my mouth, puckering my lips. "Shh. Shh."

Although, no matter what I say, it doesn't seem to work for her, maybe this whole 'reassurance' device isn't for me...

And I'd thought I was the pessimist.

..............

The noise of the bark as I carve a line into it with a kunai, the tree crumbing just a bit, revealing the lighter insides is both satisfying and irritating

Satisfying because I quite like the sound.

Irritating because it marks the twentieth minute Shikamaru is late.

It was already distressing enough that I had to let my pride go and actually...ask to meet up with him.

Of course under the premise that we would be doing absolutely nothing. He'd never willingly agree to spar with me.

And I cannot blame the boy, I do not see myself as being the best...company.

Shifting my body back to its sitting position I sigh as I close my eyes, leaning my well-known seamless bun against the bark.

It truly is a nice spot to 'watch clouds' the sun is bright, and the tree hits just the right spot for shade. Although clouds will not matter when we spar today, or if I can convince him to...

When the cracking of twigs follows my thoughts shortly after my eyes part.

"Hey."

His voice is heard behind me, turning my head, expecting him to greet me in some way before I hear him sigh and sit just behind me. On the other side of the tree.

My eye twitches just slightly, what a greeting...

"Hello." Muttering under my breath I fiddle with the kunai, is this how our relations must be from now on?

I did not believe we would become the most amazing friends, but these little to no exchanged words we give each other before sitting in silence isn't particularly, what people would call, friendship goals.

I just need to ask him to spar, there's a chance he'll just say yes, right?

Spinning the kunai in my finger, I speak up, "You."

A quiet silence goes by and I begin to think he may have fallen asleep, that is before I hear a response.

A grumbling, drowsy response.