Chapter 57

I turn my head around once more, staring into the direction of the Kage stand, the smoke-filled bomb igniting my eyes.

"This is..."

My mind then boggles with the sounds and swift black figures of anonymous bodies.

I turn around once more, my eyes still, and filled with tension as foreign shinobi line the pavement.

"An invasion."

...............

I feel I must blink once more, my eyelids shutting and when they open, my arm is still firmly wrapped around her forearm

I feel I must blink once more, my eyelids shutting and when they open, my arm is still firmly wrapped around her forearm. The small corners of my lips that were once quirked in mock cordiality disappear.

"Likewise..."

She lets me go, cocking her head at the slight tinge of suspicion I had revealed. "You alright?"

The corners of my lips rise once more. "Just the injuries from my last match."

Whilst resting her arm on her midsection, she peers at me up and down, loosely shrugging her shoulders in response. "Go back to your medics then." She suggests.

My smile remains light and even, my words annunciated and maybe too even in tone as I curl my shoulders back, straightening my already straight posture, curling the undersides of my eyes.

"What a swell suggestion. I will hold it in thought."

I immediately turn my body around, leaving no words of parting, my determined steps cracking against the cement as I step through the alley.

If this is an invasion. Then I'll simply take care of the bunch right now.

................

Temari, the opponent of Akari's severely unmotivated friend, nearly scowls at the back of Akari. Watching her very articulated steps disappear from her view. Everything about her was strange; a strange introduction, with a very strange answer. What a conundrum that girl is, if it wasn't the insanely creepy mask, or the way she butted in with Gaara at the forest of death, or how that lousy teammate of hers couldn't focus on their match because his eyes kept falling on the spectators stands searching for the missing girl.

All of which arises quite a few questions in her mind. Who the hell are you? Why the hell are you here? And where the hell did you come from?

Nevertheless, her high-strung mind didn't have time to ponder over the pretty mystery girl, because there was one thing that had to hold all of her attention.

"She's onto us." Temari bluntly states, turning over to her equally as unnerved brother.

It takes a second for her words to register as he blinks back, "What do you mean 'She's onto us?" Well, what did you say to her? She knows about the...plan?" He mutters through his teeth, glowering at his sister.