Chapter 7

When the stumps of the tall trees begin to erupt from the ground I jolt back, holding my palm to my chest. Staring around me.

What...was that...

In a panicked state, I look over at my reflection in the water.

My bun is still perfectly tied, that's good.

I place my mask back on, quickly scurrying away in hopes that nobody had seen me.

But for a second, for a slight second, I could've sworn I'd saw a flash of glowing gold.

................

When a particular blond haired girl pops up just mere inches from my face, my eyebrows raise

"We've been looking all over for you Lady Akari!" Ino exclaims with a tired Shikamaru standing beside her. The two toss themselves on the public bench I'm sat on.

"You've arrived from your mission already?" I ask semi-surprised considering  that it wasn't too long ago that they departed for said mission.

"You didn't know? It's been a couple days." She answers. "I had no idea. I deem it went well?"

"Yeah well the mission was a long one, it was about time they gave us a break." Shikamaru mutters, staring into the sky with hooded eyes.

"It must've been a rather rigorous mission that you guys have yet to come back until now." I state, quirking my head to Ino.

"Oh please, it was a piece of cake! We just had to walk this little boy to the land of Grass! It was far, but we didn't even encounter any rogues! Most boring mission ever!"Ino whines, ignoring Shikamarus complaints and holding her cheek on her chin.

"I'd hope you receive more...preferable missions. Now is there something you've needed from me?" I question, confused.

"Yes actually! Asuma-sensei requested all of us." Ino replies before hooking her arm in mine, yanking me off the bench, practically dragging me in different directions, Shikamaru trailing behind us. I'd assume she really did appreciate having another girl on her team, perhaps sooner or later she'll realize how absolutely dull I am.

"Are you, quite sure?" I ask, staring questionably down to our hooked elbows. Most if not all missions I've been excluded from for the mere reason of my recent arrival. I've only 'completed missions inside this village, at first, I'd thought it was simply because the Hokage felt obligated to make me feel comfortable, but through these endless days I've almost come to a conclusion that he's nervous that I'll abandon the village.