Chapter 35

My teeth press together as I place my glove back on and lightly run to his side. He stares at my odd face in question as I widen my stance and firmly stare at him.

"I have added something else to my list!" I exclaim, placing my palms on my hips.

"Let's kiss!"

...............

He pauses at my suggestion as his eyes stare down at me firmly

He pauses at my suggestion as his eyes stare down at me firmly. When most people do such a thing, it is because they must think of their answer, oddly enough, Neji's face does nothing of the sort.

"I am going to pretend that you didn't utter those words." He stoically responds just before preparing to walk ahead of me.

My eyes wander in surprise as my lips part, "H-huh-" I stutter at my automatic rejection. From the fairytale books I read, to the handmaid's tales at night, the ones I used to grasp a vision of the outside world, were they truly incorrect after all? The stories of other princesses, where they fall in deep love at first sight and kiss their lovers?

That is incorrect?! I am a princess—and he does not want to kiss me?

"W-Why not?" I spew out as I follow his side rampantly, my elegance diminishing with each step.

He cannot even look me in the eyes with his own pale ones as he sees nothing but leaving the forest. "Lady Akari, we aren't going to...kiss." He mutters reluctantly, the 'k' word mumbled even more so.

It is as if imaginary question marks appear atop my head as I cock it to the side like a pigeon. "I do not understand?"

Slowly, his steps slow down in pace as he shuts his eyes closed, a sigh adding atop it. He then sends an impolite look my way through his small eyes, "Your tutors don't teach you a lot, do they?" He questions, gathering his arms to his chest.

His ominous words leave me bewildered as I pause in a strange stance and even more question marks appear atop my head.

He answers simply, as if it was a well-known fact that everyone should know.

"Only married people can kiss."

My eyes nearly burst out of my eye sockets at his revelation, a fact that I had not known about. So my books are false?! "Truly!?" I exclaim.

He holds his chin lightly as he stares ahead with intent. "Yes, a village man told me that."

My eyes scatter from his face at my small mistake as I glance around at the leaflets and branches below me. "I had not known that..."