Chapter 8 (part 1 of 2)

"Here's your room key

"Here's your room key." I look down to the set of dangling gold keys taking them from the hold of Asuma.

With the sun already set, and everyone fatigued from the constant travel we quickly found an Inn to rest at for the night. Although I have yet to feel tired and could travel far longer, I find it's best if I just went with the crowd.

"Thank you Asuma-sensei," Ino says drowsily, the two of us walking away from the boys who look to be ten times as tired as us.

Entering an empty hallway with warm-toned lights on the walls and dark wooden flooring she turns to me. "Finally there's another girl on the team, I'd become so bored of having to stay in these rooms by myself." She sighs, less energetic than her normal self from the travels.

Holding the ring holder for the keys, passing them to her, I sit in thought. "I've never had a girl who was a friend before. There must be a first time for everything." I mention as she begins unlocking the door.

Turning her head to me, her eyes widen, "Wait really? Like ever?!" She asks, speaking louder than before.

I shake my head as we quietly enter the room, much like the Inn, it's sparsely decorated, two small beds with a single matching side table and lamp, one bathroom, and antique-like floral wallpaper.

"Well, why not?" She questions, her eyes saying it's one of the most astonishing things in the world.

Walking to the bed, farthest from the door, We remove our shoes, and I begin Unclasping the pouch that wraps around my waist and removing my dark blue overcoat, lightly trailing down my arms, I gaze at the roof of the room, pursing my lips.

"As a child, I'd merely grown with my handmaidens, I was never granted the option to attend an academy so I was tutored by experienced ninja. The crowd I'd most spoken with was my father and his guards."

My eye catches a small square window, standing closer as I cross my arms and stare into the night sky, paying attention to how the blue illuminates the tops of the trees. It's been a moment since I've seen trees at such height.

"And after?" She asks, looking to my back. My eyes move from the gushing tree to the side, looking at Inos reflection on the glass in front of me as she raises her arms, pulling her ponytail out, her glowing blond hair falling to her waist.

My view moves from her reflection back to the overhead of trees, a tense momentary lull. "There is no after."

"Oh, well you don't have to tell me..." She mummers solemnly behind me. My eyes avert to the window's ledge, my hands clasping tighter onto my forearms.

Feeling the light vibration from her steps I watch the window's reflection again, Ino standing next to me, admiring the same view I do.

"I am nervous about the mission, Lady Akari." She says quietly, letting out a light sigh.