Chapter 40

"I'll see you four in a couple hours. Good luck kiddo." He says with a small smile as he reaches up and ruffles my hair and I pause.

"Oh my darling daughter I would never~" he says as he playfully teases me and ruffles my hair in the end making it worse than it already was before.

I look down quietly as my eyes widen, and when I look up he's gone. I stare quietly at the empty area he left behind and the smell of smoke fills the room. I reach up and touch the top of my head where he did.

This scent is now something that brings me comfort too.

...............

Hours have passed since my team had completed our exam

Hours have passed since my team had completed our exam. And even more since the few surviving teams did as well.

I find it hard for my sensitive eyes to remain used to the bright fluorescent lighting that I stand in, large, and opposite to the cave-like waiting room. More so the small corner I had hid myself in since we were brought into a different room.

My black eyes prance around the large area, all enclosed tightly, not a knick of sun peeping through. A large empty space is what myself and the few other contestants stand in, stairs leading to thin balconies at the walls.

What is even more grand is the large statue upfront. A shiny and large build of two arms, their palms held firmly together in a ram hand sign. My eyebrows perk a bit at that sight. If my eyes weren't so tired, I could enjoy the sight just a bit more.

All contestants stand in rows side by side, divided by teams. And I—unfortunately, stand towards the end of my row. I attempt to glance over and stare at the statue once more, Choji's large hair in the way.

However soon my vision becomes obstructed by the view of a familiar woman. Her long, recognizable trench coat, and her plum hair, the proctor of our last exams. What a quirky one she is. "First of all, congratulations on finishing the second exam." She announces.

"Alright now pay attention, Lord Hokage is going to explain the third exam to you, listen carefully!" She adds on. Her voice was made to tell people things, it has a certain tremor just beneath it and I can hear it from my further stance regardless of my deaf ear.

However, for the next man who speaks. I cannot. "First before I tell you what the third exam entails, I want to explain something about the test itself. Listen closely now, it's something that all of y'all need to understand"

That ancient man. Fully dressed in his formal Hokage clothing. Arms draped in silky white garments and that headpiece. A large hat with red and their symbol embroidered atop.