Chapter 53

"If I must be frank, it's not necessarily the exams...it's the one I am to fight," I respond simply, lowering my sights from the sky back onto the road. "I am fighting the Duke's youngest daughter," I add, nodding my head before my face becomes stoic and dry.

"Temilade Hinode."

................

(Four weeks earlier)

I let out a long breath of air, the side of my face puffing as I pull out threads of different colors, occupying myself with this handkerchief as Hisa feels the need to make tea once more.

Barely a week into my training with Itsuki that she has forced upon me, I could not believe that her orders could become any more troubling.

My thoughts remained like that until today.

Where I sit for...therapy.

As each thought of such a foolish thing enters my headspace my eyes crease a centimeter more.

Only then does the imaginary black flames that brew from my irritation subside as I accidentally stab my forefinger with the slender sharp needle I work with.

Quickly I pull away as I place the hoop back on the table, sticking my finger in my mouth, my eyes searching her main room for a napkin of sorts.

I hum to myself as I gradually arise from the small square pillow, eyes scouring the small desks and drawers.

My unoccupied hand pats the wood and just under, hitting an array of areas. As I hit the feeling of paper and pens along with bottles of black ink, I begin to falter.

With creased eyebrows my hand touches a leather feeling, soft and slightly grainy.

My hand grasps the bind, pulling out the large book packed with piles of paper in the center, neither side of the book bent or torn.