Chapter 59

"You're-"

The resemblance was uncanny for he like many others watched the prelim tape repeatedly over. The brown hair that now grew past her shoulders, the hooked nose, and droopy eyes. And—the wrapping around her neck.

Lady Akari's prelim opponent is still alive?!

...............

"Masaru how are you holding up? Sorry for the wait

"Masaru how are you holding up? Sorry for the wait." The man pardons ironically to the feeble girl. From her wan skin that was definitely not her original shade, to the cracked lips with little to no color—you could tell exactly how she was doing.

As he speaks and sits upon a much more comfortable seat across from another, he realizes that he must disguise his lackluster interrogation skills with a mask of confidence. From what he knew, this Masaru girl, who has little to no background, despised nobles. It couldn't be difficult for answers.

And answers were most definitely needed. The mere thought of sending a machine like Lady Akari free was enough to keep him up at night. How come his coworker and Master Ibiki not think the same?

"I would be much better if I wasn't taken out of the hospital." The girl responds. She was morose, and for good reason.

The man moved his eyes up from his small notepad as the three men shared wary glances at each other. All he can hope is that this Masaru chick will not carry the same mindset throughout the interrogation.

He hesitates to part his lips for that small thought eroded his bold statements moments earlier.

"Master Ibiki, you know that if you claim that woman's innocence they'll let her go immediately. I mean, replacing a squadron with a single girl?"

"This was...an optional choice, if you aren't up to it-" he begins, furrowing his brows together only to shut his mouth at the distressed look on the young woman's face.

With small wrists, she holds her forehead tightly as if every word that escaped the man's lips had fractured a nerve. Quickly, she lifts her free palm in a stopping motion. "What was this for again?"