Chapter 63

"Excuse us—"

My head turns as I watch two men come into the room, clothing of a dark shade as they hold stacks of documents in their arms.

"Lady Hokage, we have something to report."

...............

"Late last night Sasuke Uchiha left the Hidden Leaf Village

"Late last night Sasuke Uchiha left the Hidden Leaf Village."

I can do nothing but stand in my silence, watching both intently and absently as she speaks with a stern strike in her voice. As I stand in her office I feel out of place, my presence here unwarranted, and merely by chance.

It seems to me that although her mind is elsewhere, figuring out how to handle this situation, she has forgotten I stand here.

Or has she?

Does she want me here? Here to bask and stare at the urgency that occurs of this Sasuke's disappearance?

Nevertheless, I comply as she rests her elbows on her crowded desk, eyes distant but controlled at the same time. "And—we're quite certain he's headed for the hidden sound village."

Shikamaru stands beside me. I can tell he had just woken up. Mostly anyone in this village has. The sky just begins to show traces of blue as the sun rises, it is too early in the morning. His eyes are dim, and I could spot the small debris in them from a mile away.

But even then, his surprise seeps through. "He just left? How could this happen?" He questions rather loudly. And as he does, I haven't a clue as to what causes my unnecessary pondering. The morning? Or my life in a cell?

Sasuke, that stoic kid with a pride and ego grander than a lion's den.

I cannot help but rub my pointer finger and thumb together, so harsh that they may cause blisters to rupture at the soft beds of my fingertips. Not because I feel an immense anxiety over Sasuke's disappearance, but for the sole reason that I could have predicted this.

Luckily for me, my day began in the midst of the night, my cell partner being all too kind to wake me up. For once, I am grateful for departing that juvenile hall. No matter how early it is. And now, I can pay keen attention to the words these Jonin say.

"What did you say?" "Are you sure of that?" Tsunade questions, her eyes wided of disbelief, voice loud and hoarse as she had just woken up.

"Yes." One of the men reply, stern and certain. "We heard this from Sakura herself."

I ignore the glances that are shot to me, and focus on the woman ahead. Brown pupils conflicted, it is as if I watch everything that has subsided in her mind piece together one by one, and as it becomes more complete, it raises her temper.

Lips bitten, palms clenched, and eyebrows furrowed.

As I remind myself of her own reaction, I cannot help but replicate them in my own, minor way. Why do I feel this tight knick in my chest. A paper cut, small—and bothersome.