Chapter 22

My eyes widen as I recognize who stands behind my set of wooden doors before I swiftly stand back down.

Why would he be here if all places?

I lift my arms, quickly scanning if any of my burning marks remain visible to the eye, before sighing, grateful that I chose a long sleeved nightgown.

My brows furrow as I hold the golden handle to my door, swinging it open as the wind sways through my black hair.

"Asuma?"

................

My face is hardened as I stare at the man standing right outside my doorways

My face is hardened as I stare at the man standing right outside my doorways. His towering stature well over my own, it doesn't take long before he turns completely around, the moon and night skies brightening to his back, facing me.

"Did you need something?" I question, my bare palm held to the handle of my door as I peer out at the man I should call my 'sensei."

Asuma shifts the weight of his body to one side as he rubs the nape of his neck, "Ah, Akari. Sorry for coming at such a weird time but I wanna discuss something." He then bends down just slightly, a way to meet my own height that he exceeds over.

If I were not wearing a mask, you could see the gears turn in my head as my eyebrows furrow together.

"And this could not wait until tomorrow perhaps?" I say stepping closer outside my door frame, eyeing him in suspicion at his bewildering arrival.

My pupils follow each muscle his face makes as he forms a somewhat stressed look. He averts his eyes as he hums with his teeth tightly held together. "I feel you might have a lot to say about this."

With a frozen face, he silently stares at me, awaiting words that may never appear as I gather his own.

Feel I might have a lot to say?

Whatever could that be...and why such a reaction?

"I see..." Is the only thing that leaves my lips as I glance at the rough grey concrete that lies ahead of me. With my lips held together in a tight line, I push my reluctance aside as I step forwards, shutting my door behind me.

"Go on," I add, holding my elbows around my waist as I just about crack the back of my neck from how tall the man in front of me is.

This time, it is he who furrows his brows as his brown eyes shoot around our surroundings.

"It's a little cold out here don't ya' think kid?"

He then shakes it off, muttering mindless things to himself. "I've got to tell the Hokage to move your home or something...too far."

With a still face, I tilt my head, my sights moving from Asuma, and then to the distance he had traveled. And then back to him. It's then that I realize that my house, or...perhaps small compounds are far from the heart of the village.