Chapter 9 (part 2 of 2)

When the vibrato of thuds can be felt through the soft snow, and just like my vision, the noises of clinking metal bounce off the air, I click my teeth.

"An ambush."

..............

"Oh god

"Oh god." Shikamaru blurts, choking in between his words, catching onto the same sight that awaits for us.

My grip tightens on the shaft of my stolen sword, my boney knuckles turning a light shade of white from pressure.

Letting a long breath of air out, I watch the piles of swordsman run to us, their bodies getting closer by the second, faces hidden by dull head guards.

I pause when the crowd does not dwindle but, advance, I step backward, gulping.

Shikamaru, who also subconsciously steps back remains in front of me simply by chance. My eyebrows furrow.

Peering at the practical militia stampeding towards us, filled with people nearly six feet high, rather giant people, arranged with glistening trenchant swords and although dull, heavy, impervious armor.

I then peer to Shikamaru and me, runty brats with handheld kunai and shuriken.

"You know what, scratch my previous idea...let's run." I murmur, voice rising with each word, my eyes widening with each second.

"Yeah we're on the same pa-" cutting him off I grab Shikamarus wrist through his cloak, shoving him behind me.

My hands slam together, the feeling of my cold palms touching as the freeze bellows up my arms. With speed, they form a cluster of labyrinthine hand signs.

I shoot my arms forward, a colossal wall of ice rises in-front of us, a transparent build, the sun gleaming streaks of light, and distressingly beautiful spikes growing on the opposite side.

When I turn around Shikamaru just stares up at down at my creation, the height reaching farther than it ever has before due to the climate.

"Whatever are you doing?! Run!" I order as we thrust ourselves forward through the alley.

As we sprint, the rising snow catches at our feet, the crisp ice creating lumps that we nearly trip over. Even as an agile runner, it proves useless in a terrain like this one. The freezing temperatures do not bother me, but the rising snow levels will make it difficult for anyone.

I take a glimpse behind me, my breath quickening as I place my eyes upon the assemblage who notice the wall, swords, and katanas swiftly clanging against the ice. cringing as I envision what could've taken place if I'd hadn't made said wall.