Chapter 27

Of course, I cannot back out now. Even more so when a large puff of grey smoke clouds my vision, surprising everyone at the noise and looks.

When the dust cloud disperses, revealing a line of tall, large men. I surely know that backing out is not an option anymore.

"Alright you baby-faced degenerates! Pipe down and listen up! It's time to begin—I'm Ibiki Morino, your proctor. And from this moment, your worst enemy."

...............

A collective gasp goes through the contestants, the sudden appearance of many unknown men shocking the crowd, as well as myself

A collective gasp goes through the contestants, the sudden appearance of many unknown men shocking the crowd, as well as myself. I furrow my eyebrows together.

"First, you candidates from the village hidden in the sound! Knock it off who told you you could fight? You wanna be failed before we've even begun?"  Everything about the man who speaks carries a certain depth that I cannot recognize. From the way his large and tall figure stuffs his hands into his long raven black trench coat, to the aloof expression he holds despite the alterations that he's reprimanded. I cannot even focus on his aura, although, it is not as if I needed to do so.

"Sorry, it's our first time, guess we were a little jumpy, sir." Is the excuse of plummeting a contestant merely in the waiting room that the raspy-voiced guy uses. And despite his clothing that seemingly hides his body, the large coat of fur and wraps hiding nearly every inch of his face. He doesn't hide his foolish aura.

"I'll say this once so listen up. There will be no combat between candidates. No attacking each other without the permission of your proctor. And even then, the use of fatal force is strictly prohibited." The man reinforces. "Anyone who even thinks of messing with me will be disqualified immediately. Got it?"

I hear a small array of footsteps next to me, the rest of this team I am working with beside me. A familiar girlish voice whispers loudly for the rest of us to hear. "How they were able to do that to Kabuto without hesitation, just for talking about their village...it's kinda scary." She murmurs, eyes faltering from the man standing in front of the board, and then the floor.

Whilst changing my sights from the man ahead, I peer slightly at her demeanor. "You are nervous?" I question with a small tilt of my head. It is not as if I find it worrying. In ways, perhaps it will allow her to properly focus this time around.

"And you aren't?!" She whispers, turning her head to me.

I finally turn to glance fully at her just before stoically staring ahead. This problem that they face, fear, it has a simple solution. "We will simply not encounter them."

"Wasn't planning on it," Shikamaru mutters in response, gradually stuffing his hands into his pockets.

That is all I can hear before the voice of our proctor. The man I recall as Ibiki, speaks up again. "Now, if we're ready. We'll proceed to the first stage of the Chunin exam." He begins. "Hand over your paper, in return, you'll each be given a number, this number will determine where you'll sit. We'll start the written test once you're all seated."