forty-nine

" Where are you taking me?" Brendon laughs.

" Don't worry about it and keep your eyes closed." Matt says.

" There's a thing over my eyes so I couldn't see even if I wanted to." Brendon says.

" Good."

Right now, Matt was leading Brendon to an unknown location, well at least to Brendon. Brendon has no idea where he's at. He went to hang out with Matt, but Matt has other plans.

" So, are ya gonna tell me where we're going or not?" Brendon asks.

" Nope, but good news is that we're here." Matt says. Brendon hears a door open and they continue to walk. He hears another door open.

" Alright, we're going downstairs but I'm right here." Matt says.

" Why can't I just take my blindfold off?" Brendon asks. Matt starts leading Brendon downstairs.

" Because we're almost there and you can take it off then." Matt says. Brendon lets out a sigh. Brendon feels no more steps. Matt takes his blindfold off and sees birthday decorations. He looks at Matt confused.

Then a bunch of people jumped up from behind furniture and yelled, " Surprise!"

Brendon jumps and then relaxes when he sees a bunch of his friends. He smiles.

" Oh my god, guys! Whose idea was this?" Brendon says.

" It was Matt's idea. We just helped out." Sam says. Brendon turns to a smiling Matt.

" Why'd you do this?" Brendon asks.

" Hey, I do anything for my birthday boy. Now lets party!" Matt says. A stereo starts to play music. Sage runs up to Brendon and throws her arms around him.

" Hi Bren!" Sage says. Brendon laughs.

" Why didn't you tell me I was getting a party?" Brendon asks.

" Because that would ruin the whole 'surprise' part." Sage asks. Brendon shakes his head.

" Well, thank you for coming Sage." Brendon says.

" I would do anything for my bestie." Sage says," Now lets go get something to drink!"

Sage drags Brendon to the drink table. She mixes a drink and hands it to Brendon. He takes a sip and his nose scrunches as the vodka slides down his throat. He didn't plan on drinking much tonight. Sage drags him to the couch and the plop themselves down on the cushions.

" I thought you had plans with DJ tonight." Brendon asks.

" Nope. I had to lie about plans so you didn't get suspicious about a party." Sage says.

" Well, I'm also surprised he's not here with you." Brendon says.

" I can spend some time without him. I'm not one of those girlfriends." Sage says. Brendon looks across the room for Matt. He caught Matt looking at him while talking to another person. Matt winks in his direction. A blush appears on Brendon's cheek.